iMac good enough with 5200 hard disc for recording?

• Hi folks

not really a KPA topic (sorry) but do not know where to get a qualified anwer elsewehere:

Is a new iMac good enough for recording with about 10-20 tracks and some effect and software instruments. My concern ist the relatively slow hard disc in the iMac. I am using a Windows setup but my daughter in on Mac...

Thanks and sorry for misusing the forum

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• Probably not the perfect answer from my side, but could be helpful nonetheless.

I'm using Cubase as my DAW and it has a nice Freeze function to reduce the required processing power and RAM. You tracked your virtual instrument and you're happy with it for now ... then just freeze the track and save the processing power on this virtual instrument until you unfreeze it to make some modifications. Very nice and helpful feature for advanced projects. Not sure if other DAWs have similar option(s) though. It's like a temporary bounce.

So if you have such a feature, then you shouldn't run into problems, even with a slower hard disc. Actually, the transfer speed of the disc isn't the limiting factor, even on a 5400rpm disc. It's more about the file access times provided by this physical discs.

• Yeah, SSD are amazing... the system boot ups in seconds. Unbelievable!
    With the third generation they have also addressed some of their youth issues.
    Still too expensive for replacing big-sized HDs, but for boot, cache, samples' libraries and realtime recording they're great :thumbup: