Yamaha DXR12 cabs live

• After about 4 mounth searching for a good sound, try an Bogner Barcelona cab or an Buma Mesa cab special for high gain live sound. Maybe there are better cabs, but for the time being ... Not forget to put the noice gate to zero and sometimes put the low shift under cabinet sim between -0.3/-1.0. Mostly clean and distortion sense to zero. If an (high gain) profile not sound good (muffed) with those cabs (al eq to zero as starting point and noise gate to zero) then for me the profile(s) is useless for live. I think much better then put an EQ in whatever slot.
    Setup: VGS guitar with passief coils -> Kemper toaster non power, main output xlr (flat eq) -> 2 x DXR (xlr input, gain 12 o'clock, line select, dsp off, hpf off).
    And off course FCB1010 uno.
    Now it's time for order an spare Kemper rackmodel.
    There is u huge huge huge difference between sleepingroom profiles, recording profiles and live profiles. And with live profiles i mean profiles on (huge) volume
    which cut thrue the mix and which sound good for guitar intro's.

• There is u huge huge huge difference between sleepingroom profiles, recording profiles and live profiles. And with live profiles i mean profiles on (huge) volume
    which cut thrue the mix and which sound good for guitar intro's.

Hi! Good tips. I like those cabs too. What did you mean by the difference in profiles mentioned? Different settings optimized for each situation/volume? Always using the dXR12s?

• Hallo Djuhntt,

I read everywhere the yamaha's are ok and even the dxr10 is a little bit better then the dxr12. So i bought a few days ago an dxr10, just for reference to the dxr12.
    I must say the dxr10 sounds a little bit better, some say more like an guitar cab, i would say the have a little bit more flat eq. Otherwise all my home made presets i turn the bass (in the cab or eq in slot x) a little bit down. In the rehearsal room i missed the bass and have to turn it on, specially when you stand about 10m or more from the dxr12's. I have not yet tested this with the dxr10.
    Further i think that most profiles with more gain not sound well with the yamaha's. So when an (new downloaded) profile sound a little bit ok, i change the cab to de buma mesa or bogner barcelone. When one of this cabs make it sound better i saved the profile.
    I found out that even bad sounding profiles with these bogner/mesa cabs (in combination with the yamaha's) can sound ok.
    The other way is possible to, an not good sounding profile can have an good cab (for the yamaha's). The Bogner barcelona profile works not good with the yamaha's for me, but the cab in the bogner barcelona profile is ok (by the way the cab is named bogner barcelona too).
    Yesterday i found another good sounding cab for the yamahas, the 5110II v30 from GRStudios.
    With many profiles the sounds blows out of the speakers, they cannot be tamed, sounded like some people say, if there is an blanked over the speaker. With the
    Buma/Bogner/5150 cab most profiles can be tamed and then the profile is useable for me for live sound.
    By the way i now use standaard main/monitor out -6db and master 0 db and the use the gain/volume knob on the yamaha's. -6db for going FOH mixer works well. Monitor- and mainoutput eq both flat. Input sense always arond zero. "Definition" under the amp section always 5 or higher brings the sound to life.
    But... it is not yet as good what i hear on the headphone output from the Kemper compare to the yamaha's on the monitor- or main output. With an headphone many profiles sound ok. So my searching is still going on.
    Gr. Peter.

Edited 6 times, last by allright ().