New Kemper, TAF rigs already loaded???

• Hey guys, I received my new Kemper PowerHead today. It's great. I seem to have a load of TAF profiles on the KPA already, I'm not sure if it's a demo version or what but I've got loads when I look in the Browser.

Also I've got profiles from other people too. M. Franzkowiak etc.

Is this normal? I thought that the Amp Factory stuff is all paid for, except for a few free rigs. Does anyone know if this is normal and if not is there any to see if they are from bundles or what? The shop never said they were loading loads of rigs on there for me.

I'll list them all.

TAF - 65 Amps Clean
    TAF - TheAmpFactory
    TAF - Angry Mushroom
    TAF - Bassman Cranked
    TAF - Big Fat Orange
    TAF - Big Twin
    TAF - Blackstar Lead+
    TAF - BluesJNR Growl
    TAF - BluesJNR+
    TAF - BS Art 15 Clean
    TAF - Carol Ann Clean+
    TAF - Carr s6 Full
    TAF - Champ Clean
    TAF - Clapton Blues
    TAF - D/13 Clean +
    TAF - Deluxe Clean
    TAF - Double Trouble
    TAF - Dr. Z Push
    TAF - Dream Delay
    TAF - Fargain The King
    TAF - Fargain The Queen
    TAF - Floydish
    TAF - Go Jimi Go
    TAF - Hello 1960z
    TAF - Hello 1970z
    TAF - Hello 1980z
    TAF - HiWatt Cranked
    TAF - JCM800 Drive
    TAF - JTM Push
    TAF - Love Pedal 30
    TAF - ManRock 800
    TAF - Match AV30 Push
    TAF - MatchHC30 Clean
    TAF - MesaMod ANGER+
    TAF - MesaVin Crunch
    TAF - MetalWide
    TAF - MKII BALLS
    TAF - Morgan Push
    TAF - Plexi Cranked
    TAF - PushedHair
    TAF - Reinhardt Crunch
    TAF - Remember Me
    TAF - Statesmen Clean
    TAF - Stileto Crunch++
    TAF - ToneKing Clean+
    TAF - TopHat Push
    TAF - TopHat Spongey
    TAF - TSL Mod Drive+
    TAF - TwoRock Jet Clean
    TAF - Van \m/ Halen
    TAF - VibroKing Clean+
    TAF - Vox AC30 Clean+
    TAF - WhiteLight

Phew... :P

So are these free or paid for ones, and can anyone isolate the bundles so that I don't buy them again. Also, is there any way for me to back them up from the KPA?

• Here's the (sortable) list of all Factory Rigs shipped with the latest Profilers:
    http://www.wikpa.org/Factory_Rigs

There's even more free rig packs from Kemper which can be found here:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html

Yes, it's ok to have lots of TAF rigs preloaded on the Profiler. They can be considered teasers for the corresponding rig packs offered by TAF. Basically you only get 1 rig per amp to demo the commercial rig packs which consist of more than just 1 amp setting. For example: You like the ToneKing Clean+ but you want to have a few more rigs from the same amp with more Gain? Go get the pack.

You'll probably have less sleep than normal for a couple of days, hehe. Wish you lots of fun!

Cheers,
    Martin

• One quick question if possible, more of a clarification actually.

I want to use my guitar cab, do I literally just press the cabinet button on the Kemper to off? And that's it?

• Set the flag 'Monitor Cab OFF' on page 3 of Master section and use Monitor Output or Speaker Out if you have the powered Profiler. This keeps the cab sim active on all other outputs.

• I want to use my guitar cab, do I literally just press the cabinet button on the Kemper to off? And that's it?

Yes and no. Wow, what an answer, hehe.
    There are probably as many opinions as Profiler users out there. Here's mine:

I've never been a guitar cab player. Never owned a tube amp. So for me the whole Kemper Profiler ecosystem hasn't been difficult to get used to. I've always listened to mic'ed amp/cab sound through good studio monitors or PA speakers. This way I can enjoy the full potential of the Profiler and its rigs. If you decide to use your own cab instead of the one in the profile, you're missing a good percentage of a rig's glory. Extremely said: Don't expect a Fender Deluxe profile to sound exactly like a Fender Deluxe through your own (different, maybe 4x12) cabs. Of course it's your decision and if you're happy using your cabs ... just do it. But there's one more issue to keep in mind:

Basically the profiling process is picking up one signal from a microphone and analyzing this signal. The Profiler can't exactly distinguish what parts of the sound are amp and which are cab related. It does a pretty good guess though to split the profiled data into an amp section and a cab section. Just don't expect this separation to be 100% accurate. The cab portion will always contain some amp information and the amp portion will always contain some cab information, so to say.

My personal opinion is to try get used to a different monitoring, no matter if it's the FRFR route (studio monitors or decent PA speakers) or In Ear Monitoring. The Profiler provides a ready-to-use signal that doesn't need to be colored by guitar cabs and/or tube power amps.

Cheers,
    Martin

• No, the Monitor Output provides only line level, you can't use it with a speaker. The gound lift is useful if you have a ground loop/hum issue. Connect your cab to the red Speaker Out jack on the rear of your unit (IIRC you got the powered version?). Minimum impedance is 8 Ohm.

• Lightbox - I am seriously considering getting FRFR monitors for home and a 212 CLR cab type system for band practice. But first I need to know how it sounds with the cab. I don't have it at the moment because it's at the studio, I'll know more tomorrow.

I was wondering how it knew what was related to the cab and what wasn't. :)

HELL-G - Doh, that big red output jack lol. I'm pretty sure that my cab is 16 Ohms, will that be okay, will it cause tone or safety issues?

Edited once, last by PhilUK84 ().

• Power amp spec is 600WRMS @ 8 ohms or 300WRMS @ 16 ohms, as I recall.

Have had the Kemper for a few weeks, it was an Xmas gift (from me to me!). Have been playing guitar for some time, I use amps, have had many tube amps and still have a few, but the Kemper, well it is amazing. Guys in my band are also amazed. My intent when I purchased it was to use it as a small footprint alternative so I am not so crowded in some of the stage we play. I've been using it as an amp with the cab off and running the Powerhead into a 1X12 cab loaded with a 16 ohm Weber Vintage 12F, which is a 100W Brit-type sound. It sounds great. I am a little paranoid of popping the speaker, so I don't crank it too much, but seems to be plenty loud. Obviously, running (for example) the Aldrich JMP Profile through a little 1X12 with the cab off will not sound the same as the same profile through a FRFR, but hey it sounds and feels like an amp and sounds good, so why not? BUT, I also ran the Powerhead output into a Yamaha BR12M monitor I have, with the cab on, and it sounds even better! I really don't want to schlep the 45 lb BR12M around, so I went for a compromise - I ordered a Beyma 12GA50 wide range speaker and will stick it in my little 1X12, hopefully will yield a near-FRFR environment. Obviously the cab is not tuned to the speaker (or vice versa) but wth. It is also 260W RMS, I believe, so it should be a little safer, power-wise. If I like it I have a Mojotone 2X12 I may put a couple Beymas into when I have more room on stage. But, we're getting back up into the 40lb area, so maybe if the little cab works I'll stick to it for the feel onstage, and run the monitor out to the PA.

Hey that reminds me - probably another thread - has anyone tried it with in-ear monitors? I did a search in the forums, didn't find anything. I have a a Shure PSM system, another possibility was to run into it and then to the PA if there isn't enough room for a cab onstage, or I felt particularly lazy that evening . Anyone have any experience with using IEMs with the KPA? Just wondering.

Edited 2 times, last by ucnick: Clarifications. ().

• HELL-G - Doh, that big red output jack lol. I'm pretty sure that my cab is 16 Ohms, will that be okay, will it cause tone or safety issues?

:D , 16 Ohms is okay. The tone will be coloured by the cab, but try it anyway. I mainly use high gain sounds and and besides iem i monitor through a Engl 4x12 Vintage 30 cab. I think it sounds great. As for the variety of tones that profiles with different cabs in them can provide only a decent studiomonitor or FRFR solution will be capable of reproducing them. So check out your cab first, try different rigs and then check out some good studio monitors (for home use) or FRFR (for gigging/band practice).

• So I'm playing through my cab, and it sounds great. I turned off global cabs and I've turned the cab button off, but really me nor my band can hear a difference if I turn it on or off. It sounds good and the same regardless.

Is this right?

Edited once, last by PhilUK84 ().

• Phil, when you activate the 'Monitor Cab Off' option the cab sim is turned off on Monitor Output and Speaker Output (which resembles Monitor Output). Turning off cabs in the Stack section will not alter the sound coming from your speaker out (because cab sim is off here already), only on all other available outputs (which is not desireable in most settings as live or recording).

• Ahhh okay I see. So I had already turned it off! Thanks.

We put my Rockerverb 50 head through the Cab and then put the Matchless HC30 profile through it and we were all unanimous that the kemper sounded better.

It's just amazing.

Thanks for putting up with my noob questions. :)