Interesting Read

• Thanks deadpan, a confirmation that "digital" is not only "a perfect sequence of 0s and 1s", and that differences do exist.

The most reasonable thing to derive from this is probably that these differences might be negligible depending on application and user's audio sensitivity and experience.

I usually don't like those "resolutive" "they sound identical to me"s, when they try to imply more that they say

:)

• Not interesting at all, imho.
    This guy uses a DAC, an analog audio RCA cable (not even balanced) and an ADC in the signal chain to do "bit accurate" measurement of digital audio data? You guys can't be serious to spend more than a minute on this BS, can you?

• Seems to me that when he refers to Rca it is the type of connector not quality of cable.

No matter what quality the cable, the transmission is unbalanced and thus prone to all sorts of external influences.
    And the main point is, that he's using analog transmission at all in a setup to prove differences in digital transmission.
    Sorry, but that was probably the most uneducated "objective take on audiophile topics" of all times.

Just as these roman philosophers always said:
    Audigitur blamus funt hositaus

Cheers,
    Martin

PS: audigitur blamus funt hositaus sounds incredibly educated but in fact it's 100% bullshit.

• Sorry man, nothing personal. I just refuse to spend my precious time on this topic.
    For me, this is a non-issue. Good interfaces are capable of minimizing (pretty much removing) jitter. And talking about a 0.15dB dropoff in higher frequencies (if it exists at all) can easily be corrected using EQ. And last but not least: No one in digital audio production cares about this kind of stuff. They just produce music and they listen to the music with great care and attention. If you (or someone else) thinks the smallest potential difference in audio data is unacceptable, then this person will have to stop listening to digital audio at all, because even the best Audio CDs or Super Audio CDs already contain jitter introduced during production.

It's a waste of time. You better enjoy making and/or listening music instead of wasting time with this kind of stuff ... and supposedly wasting quite a lot of money on highly overpriced digital voodoo to fight your own suspicion.

But that's just my 2 cents ... with an additional 2 cents for my initial rant about the test conditions in the first linked article. ;)

• Not a problem. I have noticed a difference of sound quality myself in pure digital chains and would like to know which parts are causing it so for me it isn't a waste of time. I see people state that digital is digital and there are no differences. In a perfect word this could be true but there are digital conversions taking that some how alter the sound. I enjoy to play but am always on a quest of trying to get the best sound I can. Unfortunately life only allows me a certain budget to buy equipment with, so here I am in search for the truth.

• lightbox,

while deepening certain issues may represent a waste of time for many, it might be otherwise for others. I like to understand how things work beyond the "common sense". This does not mean that I don't enjoy listening to music through my transistor radio as well, but I feel a peculiar pleasure in understanding why it sounds different from my PC; my stereo or my guitar amp.
    To me, this is like saying that F1 is useless because no-one drives at 150 mph on a road, or that studying bacteria through an electronic microscope is useless because you can't see them anyway (these are a bit forced, I know ^^ :( I find that empathizing things and pushing research to the limits helps us to better understand our own reality.

I generally don't trust people making gross statements, so I like to understand how things really work.

Having said this, if a scientist gets a delusion because "microbes are all over, I've seen them!!!", well, they've lost the sense of reality :D

• Sure! But the last part of your last post seems to speak in general for those who try and "split hairs". I feel there's a sense in that, too :)

And last but not least: No one in digital audio production cares about this kind of stuff. They just produce music and they listen to the music with great care and attention. If you (or someone else) thinks the smallest potential difference in audio data is unacceptable, then this person will have to stop listening to digital audio at all, because even the best Audio CDs or Super Audio CDs already contain jitter introduced during production.

It's a waste of time. You better enjoy making and/or listening music instead of wasting time with this kind of stuff ... and supposedly wasting quite a lot of money on highly overpriced digital voodoo to fight your own suspicion.