KPA with Rokit rp5 g3

• I don't have SPDIF cables, so didn't try this. As for kemper main out, I tried XLR and 1/4" jack outs, no difference. My audio interface only has 1/4" jack outs.

You say, you run the master volume of the kemper at 0? Isn't the sound muted then?

Cannot test today any longer, it's too late and my girlfriend is already going crazy cause of the noise ;)
    Also, I'm in the rehearsal room tomorrow with my band, and I can try it through the PA and with a friend's guitar.

So thanks to everyone trying to help today, more news tomorrow :)

Edited once, last by Thodin ().

• Yes, it kinda does matter, because for rehearsal and gigs, I would like to go directly to the PA, so the sound should be set to go through FRFR speakers. So if I dial in the sound to be good on my peavey, it won't sound as good on a FRFR system.

• Yes I know, volume does change the sound to the human ear, but with FRFRs at home i will still be coming closer to the PA sound than through my peavey. Would be fine if I can dial in the sound at the rehearsal and then practise on the peavey at home, that's right. But I don't want to have spent 300 € for speakers I don't use...

• So, after trying the kemper with some active Monitors I realized that the "fizz" I was hearing are just the normal high frequencies of a high gain profile, which my Peavey just filtered out. I was just used to that dark, bottom heavy sound. With that in mind, and that I probably just have to get used to the "new" sound, everything is just fine with my Rokits. However, I turned the treble and presence a bit down on the Main output of the Kemper, this helped a lot.

Thanks to everyone trying to help and sorry for unnecessary thread :rolleyes:

PS: I also found out that there is a lot of punch in the rokits when listening to music, just needed to be turned up a bit. :thumbup:

• So, after trying the kemper with some active Monitors I realized that the "fizz" I was hearing are just the normal high frequencies of a high gain profile, which my Peavey just filtered out. I was just used to that dark, bottom heavy sound. With that in mind, and that I probably just have to get used to the "new" sound, everything is just fine with my Rokits. However, I turned the treble and presence a bit down on the Main output of the Kemper, this helped a lot.

PS: I also found out that there is a lot of punch in the rokits when listening to music, just needed to be turned up a bit. :thumbup:

Sounds about right :D

I have the same Rokits and had the same problems. I made sure my input volume was lowered and tweaked the eq and everything was better. Wasn't able to turn the them up really loud, just loud enough to annoy my wife :evil: Still it gave me a base to work off of. I thought I was the only one having the problem so don't think your thread was unnecessary, it helped me out. :thumbup:

• Great :)

I just got a reply from the company where I bought the Rokits, they think that from what I told them, it sounds like the speakers are somehow broken. By now I'm not sure they are, but to make sure I'm gonna send them over to be checked. But I guess there's nothing wrong with them.

Other than that... maybe I'm just really bad at dialing in sounds in the Kemper, everytime I try to get a good high gain sound (doesn't matter if Marshall, Peavey, Mesa Boogie), I always get these unpleasant sounds that (to me) sound like fuzz/fizz in the higher mid to high frequencies. Tried to scoop those frequencies out mostly ends up in destroying the tone... Or maybe it's my guitar (ibanez prestige rg 2570), I can't really tell.

/Edit: Just ran into this thread: Trouble with high gain sounds
    This is probably the exact same problem that i have (High gain sounds with trebly guitar pickups + FRFR speakers), so tomorrow I'm gonna play around with pre EQs and stuff.

Edited 3 times, last by Thodin ().

• Did you ever try to roll off the tone on your guitar? That helped me with gainier sounds.

Yes, I do that a lot and you're right, that helps with high gain sounds. At the moment, I am pretty happy with a combination of tone knob, reducing the cabinet high shift a bit and the amp eq. Seems to work really well!

Edited once, last by Thodin ().

• Great to hear/read! Let me tell you, that you have to get used to hear a live played guitar via studio monitors or FRFR solutions. In the beginning I was rolling off the highs like hell, but the more I got used to this new hearing experience, the more I rolled (and still rolling) the highs back in.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• i had the same problem: the bass at home with a 2.1 system was great everything feels fine, great sound, than i go to rehearsal! sound was thin, trebly, i thought fuck what´s happend with my sound. i checked that at home me 2.1 system (and every hifi system) colours the sound in a positive way. monitorspeakers are real flat. so i dial in my rigs that they sound good on the monitors, so they sound good at rehearsal. that´s the magic! it was a long process that i noticed my failure.

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• Also, do not underestimate the sound level. When hearing at lower levels we tend to dial in more bass and trebles. When raising the volume, those freqs become prevalent... And unpleasant.
    Rule of thumb, always "make your sounds" at performance volume :D

• This was also my experience with my QSC K12 when I first used it. It was harsh and I did a lot of experiment to tame it. However i read somewhere from this forum that I might have been used to smooth sounding amps or I set up my rig to sound smooth which of course not all amps are made that way or not all guitarist are into smooth sound. It opened up my mind and now I appreciate my K12 and my KPA more. it really gave me the opportunity to learn that there are other nuances to amp sound that I was not aware of. This is really a big learning experience for me.

• it really gave me the opportunity to learn that there are other nuances to amp sound that I was not aware of. This is really a big learning experience for me.

Yeah, this video blows my mind how bright and harsh the guitars are on Let There Be Rock for example:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It ain't pretty, but it works. :D