FCB1010- does it send power over midi?

• FCB+uno requires either midi channel 1, or "all".

Just notice this remark. Actually this not correct, although it's probably undocumented :
    The FCB + UnO4Kemper will detect the MIDI channel which the KPA uses, and automatically adapt its communication to that channel. So you can put the KPA on any channel, and the UnO4Kemper FCB will work without extra configuration.
    I'm not able to retest this right now, but I will soon and if it works as expected I will update the UnO4Kemper documentation.

• Just notice this remark. Actually this not correct, although it's probably undocumented :
    The FCB + UnO4Kemper will detect the MIDI channel which the KPA uses, and automatically adapt its communication to that channel. So you can put the KPA on any channel, and the UnO4Kemper FCB will work without extra configuration.
    I'm not able to retest this right now, but I will soon and if it works as expected I will update the UnO4Kemper documentation.

Does this work with all versions of the chip? I'm pretty sure I've tried this and found it doesn't work, but I'll check :)

• Does this work with all versions of the chip? I'm pretty sure I've tried this and found it doesn't work, but I'll check :)

What's available is there since the first UnO4Kemper firmware version, but it might need some finetuning. Problem is that the KPA needs to send a "channel specific" MIDI message (like ProgChange or ControlChange) for the FCB1010 to detect the channel. SysEx for instance is not channel specific. I'm not sure if the KPA does send any such message, unless it gets a rig select command from the floorboard first - which it will ignore if not sent on the correct MIDI channel.... (chicken and egg problem). So with the current version it might be necessary to press a frontpanel button first, in order to trigger the channel detection in the FCB1010. In the near future I will do 2 things :
    - check if the SysEx communication done during floorboard detection contains info on the MIDI channel used by the KPA - in that case it's easy, FCB1010 will just use that channel after connecting to the KPA
    - store the used MIDI channel in the non-volatile memory of the FCB1010. This way things are guaranteed to keep working once the KPA MIDI channel has been configured.

• Just notice this remark. Actually this not correct, although it's probably undocumented :

Tested this, doesn't work.

• The only thing that, at first sight, seems to be a little less reliable is the continuous values #1 (expression), #4 (pitch) and #7 (volume pedal): looking at the midi settings page in the KPA's system settings, I can see that the bars sometimes don't immediately follow what I'm doing in my DAW.

I should add that I've now tried this with the Kemper hooked up directly to my interface, without the midi merger, and the volume tracking issue is still there. So it wasn't due to the merger.

• Tested this, doesn't work.

After unpacking my FCB1010 and KPA, and doing a release test cycle for the UnO4Kemper v.1.3 firmware, I finally had the time to check this. Indeed, it doesn't work as expected. The reason is that the KPA seems to send its MIDI data on channel 1, no matter what setting you choose in the System menu. Apparently this menu only changes the MIDI channel the KPA listens to, not the channel it sends on. Therefore the FCB1010 isn't able to "sense" the configured MIDI channel. It will always detect channel 1 and revert to using this channel for MIDI transmission. So indeed, unless the KPA firmware is modified to transmit on the configured MIDI channel, 2-way MIDI communication requires the use of either MIDI channel 1 or "omni".

• After unpacking my FCB1010 and KPA, and doing a release test cycle for the UnO4Kemper v.1.3 firmware, I finally had the time to check this. Indeed, it doesn't work as expected. The reason is that the KPA seems to send its MIDI data on channel 1, no matter what setting you choose in the System menu. Apparently this menu only changes the MIDI channel the KPA listens to, not the channel it sends on. Therefore the FCB1010 isn't able to "sense" the configured MIDI channel. It will always detect channel 1 and revert to using this channel for MIDI transmission. So indeed, unless the KPA firmware is modified to transmit on the configured MIDI channel, 2-way MIDI communication requires the use of either MIDI channel 1 or "omni".

This is a bit disappointing but sounds like something that can be fixed. Although, i would imagine as its something so major, theres either a reason its configured like that or its a bug. I'm going to try contacting Kemper for an official response :)