Looking for a Fat, Smooth Lead Tone

• OK I finally got a semi-decent result by simply taking the Silver Jube profile and adding a TS in front of it with the gain cranked. I get a lot of extraneous noise however. Adjusting the noise gate helps but dulls the volume when playing repetitive legato with no picking. It's not a great sound but it serves the purpose for the drill.

I experimented quite a bit with the gain control. You really have to crank it high to get gain to sound when playing legato like this. When picking it is much more pronounced and as one would expect. But unless it's set very high hammer-ons come out sounding clean.

Can you post your profile and a clip of playing with a pick and hammer-ons?

Did you buy your Kemper new or used (sometimes used devices have funky settings from the previous owner).

• OK, just to close out this thread (from my perspective anyway) here was the ultimate solution for a great lead tone minus all the noise. The primary tool for achieving this turned out to be Master Volume. The Gain has to be cranked up high, that is a given. But in the end I didn't really need a TS in the front of the chain. As for the Noise Gate, it can affect tone if set too high. I found that turning it up until the noise disappears and then backing it off a touch works well. Volume I have set at about half. Then I adjust the Master Volume down until I get the loudness I want (apartment level for doing this drill). Since the Kemper is not a tube amp, turning the Master Volume down doesn't adversely affect tone (one of a number of huge advantages to owning a Kemper I think over a tube amp). Now I have a strong distortion tone and when I do the legato exercise without picking I can get a good sounding tone going and maintain it easily.

• I found this in wiKPA under sculpturing tones. I was looking for a way to fatten up the bridge pup on my strat and found this little secret not only to work on my strat but the fatness it gave to the profiles was great. I don't know why it works but for me it added that little something that was missing in my profiles. Give it a try and don't be afraid to tweak to your liking.

For lead tones, using a bridge single coil often sounds shrill. One solution is modifying your Strat and connecting one of the tone controls to the bridge pickup, but even for those who have done that mod sometimes it's desirable to have a single patch that takes care of setting the guitar tone control for you. Fear not, Low pass pedal in the Profiler to the rescue! Try it with the following settings before the amp block:
    Manual: 7.3;
    Peak: 0;
    Mix: 83%.
    Leave the remaining settings at their default values. The level control enables this effect to be used as a boost by itself. The mix control is key for allowing some of the direct signal through and thus emulating the real life imperfections inherent to this kind of filter.
    Deny