DPA 4011 Mic!

• ..recently I was sent one of these to test.. and directly ended up buying a matching pair of them shortly after the first day of testing!.

The DPA4011 is a cross between a 57/121 but as a single mic. it really holds its own in the absolute perfect mid section of a speaker, translating this to recording very well. the lows are tight and the highs are not shrill or fizzy. its a C shaped mic only, in a long pencil format. so this makes it perfect for spot miking (room) or perfect close micing placement. I was pretty shocked at how well this mic translates accuracy.. and I didn't need to "engineer" as much as I do other mics.

Whilst this mic really does do well on its own, pairing is still possible. but its harder. - 121 does not work here, neither does the Neumans, SM7B is OK, and the Unidyne S545 Shure mic is where its at though. just as long as you keep the DPA for the "sound" and the 2nd mic for balance only.

I feel like this is a big leap, and whilst ive only covered a few profiles with it, so far the results have been very pleasing to say the least!. - I will be using this for a long while to come!.

• Looking forward to hear from your results.

I like the 57/121 and even 7B/121 a lot - all in one mic sounds great - but I think I would miss the feature to mix freely the levels of booth.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Looking forward to hear from your results.

I like the 57/121 and even 7B/121 a lot - all in one mic sounds great - but I think I would miss the feature to mix freely the levels of booth.

Yes of course.. but this mic is aimed at the "point and go" situation. great for live use, and its a "quick" mic, meaning it seems to sound great no matter where I point it at! (within reason of course).. it can still be paired, but due to its nature and sound, not many mics will be a good match!..but its sure great with all sorts of things from Guitars to pianos and drum Overheads!. - the thing I like about it most is that you have to really crank the mic pre to really get the best out of it. (this can be seen as a positive but also a negative I suppose) but anwyay, its full of fun..

I still prefer my normal methods.. R121/57/S545/U87 and 47, with a bit of SM7B if the right amp comes along, quite simply its been my way for the last _god knows how long_ and Im too stubborn to change but this DPA4011 is now a main contender, and may make me think a little different sometimes... and besides, one can never have enough mics.. after all, its the most important thing in a studio to "track" with!