OK! We have a comprehensive PROFILING DAY coming up, any advice?

• Hi all. I'm VERY NEW to profiling so bare with me and the questions likely to follow please.

Mics I've have:

Dynamic Mics:
    Shure Sm57
    Beyer TGV50D and TGX48

Condenser:

ART M-Four
    Rode NTK and K2

Ribbon:

AEA R84
    Royer 101

My very first profile was on a Victoria 5112 using the ART M-Four Condenser mic. Our very first try yielded an incredible result. Somehow I was able to crank the KPA Gain on that profile and it still sounded awesome. No ice pick to the ear. The mic was flat up against the grill, didn't pick up too much room somehow. Being that it was a test run to learn how to profile, not a lot of attn was spent on actual set up aside from allowing the tubes to warm up and getting the sound we wanted from the amp. Dropped a mic in front and hit profile!

Subsequent attempts with the M-four and other mics were not so favorable no matter how we positioned the amp as well as mic placement. I figured out later that I had some KPA settings screwed up so will have to do another comprehensive test.

Other findings on the first try:

The Shure SM 57 is great as always. I wonder though, if my ears are eager to hear recognizable characteristics of that mic?

So, I found with some of my (now deleted profiles) that although the profile itself sounded good, any added gain from the KPA made it sound thin and harsh. I thought, ah! My favorite profiles I have tried always seemed to be a blend of Royer R121 and SM57. I like the thick body of the royer mic and the clarity in the upper range of the 57. (I think this is what I hear). So, went and bought an AEA r84 and the more affordable Royer 101 to see if my gain issues were condenser mic related. Still not sure as I have to retest all of these mics in an environment more conducive to fair and equal testing.

Both of these mics yielded outstanding profiles on the Vic 5112 and on my 1965 vintage deluxe reverb. The AEA seemed to be extremely refined and detailed. The Royer, "SEEMED" to fall flat when ABing the two profiles. Fast forward 3 hours of jamming and noodling, we (3 of us) discovered that the Royer profile was our favorite to jam on. Thick and harmonically rich PLUS you can add KPA gain and not get that irritating ice thin noise.

BTW, profiling with the ribbon mics was at about 8 inches away from the front speaker straight on at the cone.

I learned that studios using the AEAr84 are micing the back side of open back amps using the back side of the mic and micing the front of the cabinet with a dymanic mic like the 57.

Lots of testing to do. Also going to pick up a Cloudlifter to try with the ribbon mics. Hope to have reviews and profiles for y'all to try out very soon.

My buddy will have his Prism Lyra DAC back in his studio next week, we're hoping that will be of use to us but I'm not sure.

Amps to profile:

Dr Z SRZ 65LE
    1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb
    Victoria 5112, 20112 combos
    1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb
    Dr Z JAZ 20/40 combo with WGS 65 driver

Cabs available

Dr Z convertible 1x12 with Celestion Gold
    Mesa Boogie Thiele with EVM12L
    DR Z Convertible 2x10

guitars:
    1980 Gibson les paul deluxe (mini buckers)
    2007 Fender Deluxe Tele (stock scn pickups)
    2007 Gibson ES335 block with Burstbuckers
    2008 Fender American Standard strat with SCN pick ups
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique (Sheptone Tribute buckers)
    2010 Fender American Standard Strat with SCN and Dimarzio Tone Zone
    2010 Fender Tele American Standard stock

Probably spend Tuesday working out profiles for all guitars on either the 5112 or deluxe reverb amps.

Any tips you can share so I can begin my homework before "P-Day" (profiling day) is greatly appreciated!!

QUESTION for those profiling with two mics:

What mixers are you using and how are you getting mic levels preset?

I noticed that when setting up levels pre profile and post, my signal seems to drop off rapidly, not my usual sustain. You can physically hear it stepping down until there is no longer signal. I MUST be doing something wrong. Ideas?

tia

m

• No slapping! Only if you are a bass player hahaha....

Try to run it with the KPA built in mic pre first, set the noise gate low or off...also make sure your input settings match when comparing the amps and avoid clipping....then try to run it though your mic pres and board and blend the mics...keep always in mind that clipping can occur in every single stage of your profiling...mic pres, input settings in your audio interface or output setting etc...go the easiest route first and then add....I found that sometimes the simplest set up with the least coloring factors like mic pres or mics yield the better results....I used the 57 and e609 and also will try a ribbon next time but I found going direct into the map with mic is sometimes best....also consider the different mic positions...lots of stuff....don't be afraid of tossing profiles and starting over....good luck! :)