Creating patches for live use

• What's up everyone..... So I bought the Kemper Rack unit about a month ago and I'm curious about something. My main live use is to run direct out to the board and using in ear monitors for on stage. What's the best way to create/edit patches to get the most realistic sound????? Should I use studio headphones or come direct out with an XLR to a powered wedge??? Also all of my channel volumes are in the negative to avoid clipping.... Is this normal??? I'm running the main volume at -20 db

• Welcome to Kemperland.

I run a similar setup, and my main outputs stay around -20db level wise, nothing wrong with that.
    I set up my rigs through studio monitors and have not had a problem with them translating to a good PA system. If you use a wedge of some sort make sure it has a good flat frequency response.

What in ear system do you use? Aviom or something different? Reason I ask, is that many have found it sonically better to monitor straight from the KPA and run the output of the monitoring system into the alternate input of the KPA. I tried it this way recently and liked the results better than monitoring everything through the aviom system. It's pretty simple to do and only requires one additional cable.

Sean

• Thanks for the reply man... So in editing your patches you come direct out into a mixer or power amp and then into studio monitors???
    We switched from Aviom to the My Mix system about a year ago. Same idea..... The my mix is a bit clearer. How do you set it up???

• At home I go directly out of KPA to an RME fireface 800, then out to studio monitors. The monitors are dynaudio acoustics and sound great. They are self powered so no separate power amp.

I connect the output of the avioms to the alt input on KPA, with my guitars turned off. Then mix in guitar from KPA and plug in ears directly into KPA headphone jack. Sounds warmer to me that way.

Sean

• Welcome jmilko
    I loaded some patches into KPA from the RE and found it overdriving the output. Made all kinds of tweaks to remedy the problem with no luck until I checked the cab output and found it at +10. Don't know what that was all about but I lowered it to +2 and that solved the problem. I keep the output showing green to slightly yellow to get the best tone. When it hits the red, doesn't sound smooth. I also use the aviom monitor sys and tried going thru the KPA but didn't make a big difference to me. Just found it easier hooking it up the old fashion way. The guitar sounds so much better thru the KPA so it definitely sounds better thru the aviom.

• As Ingolf states, you can go directly to powered monitors. I have my XLR outs going to interface and digital out going to an A/D converter then straight to monitors. That way I don't have to power up computer and interface every time I want to play.

• First I tried to use two wedges. But they had to much midrange to them so it didnt work well.
    Now I connect two small studio monitors, Fluid F5 self powered. Its much better.
    They best is to adjust the patches on the actual PA system but its not easy to get to all the time.
    My patches sounds a little different in our PA system than on the monitors. Probably because the monitors are small and 2 way full range and PA satelites and subs, guess the mixer might "colour" the sound slightly as well.