How do you preview new rigs?

• RM has made previewing rigs so much easier, I find myself rolling through them much quicker than before RM. At first I was just previewing each rig as posted. But I found myself gravitating toward the ones with lots of effects turned on and ones where the volume was louder. Then I started slowing down and adjusting things to see how they sounded when changing volume, turning off effects, adding effects that I liked, .... What I was finding was that I was really missing out on some really good rigs that were posted just as they were profiled without any added bells or whistles. So I then created some stomps and effects presets that seemed to best fit what I liked. I made some for clean profiles and then made some for crunch/distorted profiles. I can then load my presets, lock them and then go from profile to profile and get a better idea of how they would sound for me. As part of the presets, I have a basic EQ (1 clean, 1 crunch) that seems to work fairly well with my JBL monitors. It's not perfect, but it allows me to roll through the profiles more quickly and not miss out on some really good profiles.

After reading another post about locking the stomps and effects sections with nothing in them for preview purposes, it got me wondering how everyone else was doing this. I'm sure we all spend a lot of time just previewing all the great profiles in RE. I use this same method when I go through profiles that I purchase in a commercial pack.

So, how do you preview?

Tony

• I lock reverb where I like it. The other slots are unlocked, I like to first hear what the proponent of the profile had to say, then I start to explore by switching things off - Specially if I don't like what I hear.

:)