Powerhead and PA

• So, I just exchanged my toaster without power for this. My first impressions were the lack of volume. I know about the power amp boost and took this half way on the dial. It was then much louder but nothing like going through my tube amap fx return. I guess I could try more but the manual talks about "soft clipping". It's as loud as I need, I'm just surprised.

My main worry is using the main out to a powered speaker. I tried this and compared to the monitor out to my 2 x 12 guitar cab. (no cab sims) it sounded thin and fizzy. But the main out had the cab sims on. I could compensate a bit on the eq for the main out by dropping the treble and presence a bit and adding a tiny bit of extra bass but it still didn't sound good.

This is on top of an experiment at the weekend briefly (very) using a PA that also sounded quite bad.

Can you think of anything obvious I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Andy

• You're not doing anything wrong, but you're comparing the Kemper poweramp into real guitar speakers VS "Cab sims" into a PA poweramp into a PA speaker.

The Kemper poweramp into guitar speakers is your regular "real amp on stage tone", the Kemper main out into the PA is your regular "mic'd amp audience tone"...they'll never sound the same.

Try this...mic your 2 x 12 guitar cab (no cab sims) and send that to the PA, perhaps that's the tone you're wanting to hear.

• Could be. Only a short soundcheck for the Saturday's gig so that's probably the safest thing.

In the small rehearsal room my guitar cab sounds a bit congested - could just be the room though.

A guitar cab with more neutral speakers or a passive PA cab might be a compromise?

• Most probably the cab you used did not sound good. I'd suggest to take your Profiler to a music store and try some professional PA, to experience a good "FRFR" sound.

Also, are you sure you did not clip the cab's (amp's) input?