amps that will work well with acoustic amplified violin?

• I'm considering a Kemper.

I play amplified acoustic violin and want to be able to play it super clean as well as then switch to different rock or jazz amps

Are there amps like this for the Kemper?

Has anyone profiled a line array system like the Bose L1 or L1 II?

Thanks

• Welcome violindave!
    Any imaginable amp is in the Kemper, so if you want to explore teritories it's perfect for that.

OTOH I think there's a misconception on your side:
    Nobody would profile a Bose Line Array system or any other of the FRFR solutions on the market because these exist only in order to amplify the profiler in the most neutral way. The goal is that a poweramp at the end of the signal chain with the profiler in it should not colour the signal at all.

• The tech at violinshop.com told me that acoustic guitar amps usually give the best results for electric violin, because they're voiced for piezo pickups, which violins use.
    I'm getting an electric violin in August.
    If you get a KPA, please post your results :)

• Hi Violin Dave

I have a Bose L1 compact, with which I am delighted. Using my acoustic guitar which has an L R Baggs piezo pickup and matching built in preamp which I plug into the Bose "Tonematch" acoustic guitar input. The sound is crisp and clean, eliminating the harsher qualities of simply using the line input on the Bose L1 compact.

This would be the setting on which to profile the Bose L1 compact. I intend to do this but I only have an SM58 vocal mic and I am no expert, so I am not necessarily expecting the best result.

I also play acoustic violin using a Fishman V200 pickup and matching preamp, but have not been pleased with its tone through the line input on the Bose but it is a little sweeter via the "Tonematch" guitar input. The V200 has not given me a good violin tone on any equipment without a lot of adjustment.

Using the violin through the KPA, I have omitted the impedance matching preamp (for convenience) and used a rig without amp or cab, although I will experiment with these. The pickup output is very low so a boost was needed. The bass was very boomy so I eliminated that using the graphic EQ and used a noise gate to suppress handling noise. I also adjusted a few other frequencies to improve tone. I still have work to do on this in due course but the violin is not my main instrument.

I hope this helps

Paul