Cabinets in profiles

• First of all, I want to give a big shout to Till Schleicher for all the great stuff he gives, as well as his outstanding Chimera pack. I'm still playing with the Chimera cabs, but there's an incredibly good variety in there.

Till's cabinets are the best I've used thus far - which leads me to a question or two...

1) Where can I get more good cabinets to try out?

2) I'm having trouble getting good cabinet tones. Some seem really boomy, some sound muted (typically the Marshalls).

Are there any tricks you've found to get good, playable cabinet response? I realize a lot of it is going to be the EQing, but where are you doing the EQ to get the best tone?

Right now I'm dropping an "overdrive" EQ in, another studio EQ just for tweaking tone before the amp stack, and one more after for lead boosting. (My Kemper is looped into my Axe, so most of my FX are triggered on the Axe.)

I do a chunk of my EQ on the Amp, which I realize is imprecise at best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• Yeah, I should mention that I bought a crapload of IRs from http://redwirez.com/. Now, they sound "okay" but VERY flat. I used the cabmaker app to convert them. I'm wondering if this works well for the IRs that you get out there that aren't in the native .kipr format.

I've seen the Ownhammers, now I know I should give 'em a try.
    I'll check out the Sinmix ones. I have a bunch of his profiles.

• Are you having this issue often, as in the majority of your profiles? Or, is it just occasionally with a select few profiles?

The reason I ask is that IMO you shouldn't really need to be doing a ton of cab-swapping and/or lots of EQing to get decent tones with most profiles. Wondering if your issue is with the equipment you're running the KPA into.

Every once in a while I'll come across a profile that I can tell has potential but there's an issue with the cab. First, I'll try minor tweaks to the cab parameters and definition. I'll also try a studio or graphic EQ. For boominess and muddiness try experimenting with cuts below 400 hz. If you need a little more sizzle on top, experiment by adding a little in the 5-6k region. If that doesn't work, I might try a different cab. I generally find that swapping to a cab that came from a profile of a similar amp works best. For example, Marshall to Marshall.

Doing these things is rare for me. I often do a couple of very minor EQ tweaks to profiles but I find that doing massive amounts of tweaking leads to unnatural sounding results. I move on and pick a different profile.