Profile for best solo / lead tone

• Who thinks he or she has identified the best profile for a great hard rock lead tone?

I'm not looking for anyone's top 5 list, I want to different opinions about which specific profile is the best hard rock solo / lead tone.

Does not need to derive from any particular geneology (Marshall, Boogie, SLO, etc.). Does not need to mimic any artist or recorded tone. It does need to be mid-to-high gain, have lots of sustain, have the ability to cut through a dense mix, and sound incredible ... and be your subjective opinion as the best hard rock lead tone profile!

Thanks! Sean

Edited once, last by SeanHood ().

• The best tone has to fit the mix. Depending on the tune, different sounds would be "the best" ones.
    Soloing by oneself is one thing, adding to a mix is a completely different beast.
    Also, depending on the guitar and the PU one uses, there will be profiles fitting the task better.
    Last but not least, the tune's atmosphere may require a more acid, smooth, aggressive tone...

It might be useful to listen to isolated solo tracks from famous rock tunes, to realize how far from "well sounding" those tracks are...

:)

• FIrst of all, it's all different for everyone and yaddayadda.

For my stratocaster with the bridge pickup (american standard with dimarzio super distortion near the bridge), Lasse Lammerts Big Rock is fantastic for leads. It has just enough distortion to give it sustain and make it "lead-y", but still retain the definition. It has a less gain then you would dial up on an amp in the room. But in a fat mix, i think it's wonderful.

Here is a little sound clip from a song i'm working on, where i have used big rock (iirc, without changin any parameter, with my bridge pup). It's almost completely unmixed, so it doesn't sound as good as it can.
    https://soundcloud.com/jesperb…/ll-big-rock-solo/s-uwLpw

Edited once, last by Jesper ().