In ear monitoring question

• Hi guys! Wondering if you guys have any tips. My band practices in our basement and it can be beyond loud most the time. I'd like to preserve my ears if at all possible. What recs do you have re in ear monitoring and how to get overall sound if band at the same time?

• i think i'll be the only one who will want this but the bedroom one might work, the two mics to the PA with a monitor out the bedroom version, my kemper in to the bedroom, i can mic the bass and then one for the drums. where position wise would be the best place for a drum mic if i'm going to try to mic the whole kit with one mic?

• you might want to consider the bass direct... start overhead center with the drum mic on a boom then move it down and around to get the best sound... you'll find the sweet spot that the drummer has between his cymbal playing and toms, snare and bass drum. some school of thought is move it away as a room mic... acoustic guitarist use this to pick up a more balanced ambient sound. have fun!

Gettin' funky up in here..

• you might want to consider the bass direct... start overhead center with the drum mic on a boom then move it down and around to get the best sound... you'll find the sweet spot that the drummer has between his cymbal playing and toms, snare and bass drum. some school of thought is move it away as a room mic... acoustic guitarist use this to pick up a more balanced ambient sound. have fun!

Very good suggestion.
    Our rehearsals got a very good and very consistent quality once we moved to the Jamhub system 3 years ago.

• Would an sm58 be an appropriate drum mic? If not what would you recommend?

anything ya got is fine for this rehearsal purpose... for recording maybe something a little brighter might be appropriate like a condenser... cheap audio technics 2020.. they serve as great drum overheads for recording and live use... buy them used on eBay!!

Gettin' funky up in here..