Band-in-a-Box 2014 for Mac is here!

• I guess using BIAB will safe a lot of time to make demos....

I use it all the time for building the basic tracks for the rhythm section and the structure of the arrangement.. use the real tracks versions and the players sound really good... I use the drums for click track references to set the groove of most everything I record... at least until the percussionist gets his parts in.. and do the same for each of the others, keys and bass.. of course you can spend hours just finding the style for the tune.. but hey it's part of the fun... i guess. oh yeah and I build the charts from it to distribute to the players as well.. makes it easy to do projects with my keyboardist in Los Angeles and bassist in Burlington NC and me in Atlanta...

couldn't do that in the 80's... man

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Bought the Win version, downloaded, installed ...

Functionally it's overwhelming, being a BIAB beginner. But what really shocked me is the visual appearance (UI) of the software. Wow, this is the ugliest piece of software I've used in decades. :huh:
    Will try to get used to it but these guys should hire a UI designer immediately.

Cheers
    Martin

• Bought the Win version, downloaded, installed ...

Functionally it's overwhelming, being a BIAB beginner. But what really shocked me is the visual appearance (UI) of the software. Wow, this is the ugliest piece of software I've used in decades. :huh:
    Will try to get used to it but these guys should hire a UI designer immediately.

Cheers
    Martin

LOL! Thats their NEW improved UI. You should have seen the old one. Peter Gannon is the owner/operator/programmer/designer of PG Software. Hes the guy to tell how you feel about his UI :)

• Quote from UI Design Police

... Peter Gannon is the owner/operator/programmer/designer of PG Software.

hehehe :P
    But seriously, I'm not yet sure I can get inspired and creative while looking at this mess. I will try.
    My comment was meant as a warning for those who plan to get it too. Look at it first and then decide. :)

• hey man... ther's tons of biab files/music for free on the net.. grab some and start playing with styles on a tune.. you don't need to know anything... the power of the application will start to shine through... then change an instrument around like a keyboard or bass part... use real tracks..

then once you've found a couple of styles you like... plug in a progression... 12 bar blues or something... repeat above steps and start jamming!

Gettin' funky up in here..

• What it lacks in beauty in more than makes up in power. :P:)

Its a real powerhouse especially to folks who know how to compose music by building chord progressions. Real Tracks is a godsend compared to the old implementation of midi and midi instruments.

You can initially build progessions with the existing style templates. Eventually you can create your own style templates for songs uniquely your own.

• The new BIAB is by far the best looking UI ever - for BIAB.

(click to enlarge)

This was the (very) old one:

[Blocked Image: http://static.bax-shop.nl/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/pg_music_band_in_a_box_2013_mac_02.jpg]

Here is the one before the current one:
    [Blocked Image: http://static.bax-shop.nl/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/PG_Music_Band-in-a-Box_2013_Ultrapluspak_Edition_Mac_3.jpg]

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• If you're used to "serious" music-programs, it looks like a special design for kids.... ;(

I'm still missing some real tracks to install, even I've downloaded them all, for about 6 real tracks there's no install-file in the folder... will try another download for the missing real tracks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• There is a live chat option for support on the website.

Yes, the UI is strange - but MUCH better then in the previous versions ;)

So I am very happy with the new update - just created my first UserTrack ...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• I'm still missing some real tracks to install, even I've downloaded them all, for about 6 real tracks there's no install-file in the folder... will try another download for the missing real tracks.

Problem solved, the install-files were just secretly hidden under the "PG"-symbol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• If you're used to "serious" music-programs, it looks like a special design for kids.... ;(

I'm still missing some real tracks to install, even I've downloaded them all, for about 6 real tracks there's no install-file in the folder... will try another download for the missing real tracks.

I had a batch download with downthemall for all the files and found out later that a few .dmg were corrupted. I downloaded these again and all was fine.

that said, i was warned about the GUI and finally find it not as badas I expected.
    I will use this for sketches and port things over to Ableton Live or Logic later.
    What I find interesting is that BIAB uses elastic audio by Zplane which is the same algorithm Ableton Live uses for manipulating audio AFAIK. This is good.

• I love BIAB because as an "independent spirit" (loner) it allows me to create music without the need of other musicians in a band situation. Real Tracks has given my tunes a major creative boost.

• I love BIAB because as an "independent spirit" (loner) it allows me to create music without the need of other musicians in a band situation. Real Tracks has given my tunes a major creative boost.

I already love BIAB, sounds great with real tracks. :thumbup:

Is there a real book available somewhere?

• They have a fine printed manual - but currently only for the old 2013 version.

The full manual (PDF)l is available via the help menu.

• btw. the online videos are quite helpful:

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbmac.htm

Check out also the 'what's new in 2013, 2012, 2011 ...' videos in the Archive section - there you see the ugly old UI - but a lot of other features will be explained and can be simply adapted for the new UI.