Qsc K 12

• I have a question I hope is easy to answer. :)

My band uses KSC K12 powered speakers for the PA. I have one at my house, and it really wipes out my profiles. They sound like they are in a box or honking and trebly. I am wiling to eq 1 profile set for going direct and one for the power amp and cab, is there anything you recommend I do to make the Kemper shine through the KSC?

Thank you,

Mike

• And, did your profiles sound the same (bad) at rehearsals?
    Rephrasing it, where and how did you place the cab in your room when you did not like the results? Resonances can get along way for destroying a sound :D

Last, but not least: how were the profiles tweaked? Through a guitar cab? Through the PA at high volumes?
    Be sure to listen to them t the same volume at which you liked them.

• I started with stock TAF, Pete's, and Soundside profiles and they sound terrible. The Soundside profiles are old Marshalls, plexi era profiles, TAF is the Friedman profiles. Friedman had too much bass and a high end treble sound. - This is right from their dl page. The plexi profiles were weak and thin. I spent all day trying different cabs, eq, levels, and lowering gain to no avail. I was at gig level and Yuck!!

• It has been my experience that the K12 has an over-emphasized bass and treble response. The bass goes away as the speaker reaches limit, but the HF goes on getting louder which results in a brittle sound at higher volumes.

One thing that I would caution is that it isn't a fair assessment of how your sound will be to the audience if you are sitting 5 feet from the speaker. The highs will be much more severe at this distance while much of the bass will actually be reduced.

Try setting the speaker up on stands so that the horn is at about 6-7 feet. Listen to the sound from at least 30 feet away. This is more representative of what the audience will hear IME.

• I struggled with my K12 the first few weeks and sort of wanted to sell it however later I learned to tweak the EQ at the output. I also accepted and learned that previous to Kemper I usually dialed my amps to smooth setting where I draw down the highs. However the commercial profilers dialed the amp at their best and that's how I learned to appreciate KPA and K12. I also listen at an angle to the K12 and not in front of it to stay away from the highs. Play also with the EQ sliders at the back of K12 and see how it goes.

• Thank you for the help.

I worked on the profiles and eventually 4 -5 of them are shining.

I did not mess with the EQ on the K12 because it is a pa speaker, not my personal wedge and I need to deal with it the way it is (EQ is flat). Here is what I did to get good tone out of the K12 (and going through the power amp and cab):

• I placed the volume pedal I use for solo boosts at the front of the loop and set the base level to -1.2. This gives me a decent solo boost and insures I am not hitting the power amp or KSC with too much signal or an overloaded signal. I think hitting the poweramp or PA with an overloaded signal was my main problem.
    • I used different cabs. On Soundside's Axe Friedman I use baldringer's Mars Studio 25, on the TAF Plexi Cranked I used Till's mixed 4x12 010.
    • I put the studio EQ in slot X with settings I got from another post (I forgot who :( :( - studio EQ (LF: -3/-6db between 80-300hz, HF: -3/-6b (6-8Khz,, MF: +/- 3db between 400-1200Hz, qfactor >1 up to your choice).
    • I lowered definition to 5-6 and clarity the same.

This seemed to help, it sounded good at church yesterday and we will see tonight at practice,

Thank you,

Mike

• Hey Mike,

You forget me... haha.
    Glad it helps you.
    Cutting bass and highs is the way to tame most profiles.
    Changing cabs is the way to "flatten" the frequencies too fit an PA speaker.
    Find a few cabs to match with your brand PA.
    Put off the noise gate and rise the defenition to get rit of "the blanket" sound.

Good luck.

Gr. Peter.