Alto 115a

• Hi,
    Donno if it s the place, but i got a Alto 115a. It works very well at the mid volume, but when i go after, the Sound became really crapy.
    It s a 800w amp and at the mid volume position, it seems that it Sounds less than a 50w tube amp.
    Does anyone got an idea of what i did wrong ? My kemper global volume is really low (between 0,2 and 0,5).
    It only happened in high gain rig of course
    Thanks

• Thanks for your answer, in the wiKPA, it's wrote to set the volue as low as possible everywhere when a FRfr is connected . Donno, ib. should make some thing wrong but what ?...

• IIRC (not sitting in front of my KPA at the moment) zero is the highest volume and then it goes to minus. Try something like -20 dB.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Also, if you're used to hear your guitar sound through a guitar cab, it's a whole new expierience to hear it through a monitor like the Alto (e.g. way more audible highs). Give yourself some time to get used to the new way of hearing and experiment with levels and EQ, especially with the global EQ for Main and Monitor Out and the Alto-EQ (if there is one implemented).

• Thanks for your answer, in the wiKPA, it's wrote to set the volue as low as possible everywhere when a FRfr is connected . Donno, ib. should make some thing wrong but what ?...

This is not correct. Could you supply a link to the page?
    When feeding an amp, the output level has to be "as high as possible" for the best sound (provided there's no overloading anywhere).

• Yes, but he was writing "between 0,2 und 0,5" meaning it would be low, but it is very high if I remember the volume range of the KPA correct. So the KPA is already on a high volume level even though he should have been writing "-0,2 and -0,5" (note the minus).

• I ll post the link to the wikpa page tonight.
    For kempermaniac, the Sound is correct to my hears at low volume, it s after that the Sound be came crapy and over saturated.

• I think:
    - Volume in the output section is in dB: 0 max, and yes for feeding FOH I use -20 dB
    - Volume at master output is from 0.0 to 10.0, so 0.3 is low volume (I play at home with powerhead usually between 0.3–0.6)

• Here you are, you can find it here :
    http://www.wikpa.org/Amplifying
    on the Profiler - Amplifying section

Thanks. Were you referring to this statement from Eng. Kemper?

If you use a poweramp, don't set its volume too high and bring all volumes down on the Profiler. Better leave all volumes of the Profiler at roughly zero dB (that is either maximum or middle position of the knobs)

He's saying exactly the opposite: don't bring volumes down on the Profiler, set them @ 0 dB (which means "no attenuation").

The general rule is: the higher the input level below distortion, the better the sound.

HTH :)

• Just to clarify if it has to be (maybe), i play on an 8 strings, quit low (drop E).
    Ok, i've tested with a lot of different volumes and i always get a kind of muddy sound on distortion.
    It's happened on every rigs in high gain, with clean sounds it's ok ...
    I'm sure i'm doing something wrong, but what ?!?!? Thanks ;(

• Well, this might be a critical info for sure 8o

What happens when you play the highest 6 strings standard tune?

And, what happens when you play some music program (same genre) through the cab? This would help troubleshooting

:)

• So i try to play Mesh via the alto, the Sound is not good. I don t have the muddy Sound (like bees) but it s not good to me.

• Hey Erick, received your PM but unfortunately I can't seem to be able to respond from my iPad (currently on golidays).

Were you able to make the other test, i.e. listening to music?

• Hi,
    Yes i did the test and the Sound is not really good, but not to bad. I don t have the bees Sound i have with my guitar.

• Mhhh... i'm starting thinking of a defective unit (Alto), or that you don't like it.
    You might consider taking your Profiler to a store and try something in the same price window to have a reasonable reference point :/

:)

• I'm sure -10db is the ideal input signal level from Kemper to Alto for best range (that's what I use with my TS112a). Failing everything else, just plug your guitar straight into the speaker, then, check volume output on Kemper to match. Once you've got the basic volume you can try to bring it up on the Kemper output until it sounds right without being too hot.

Also check this old thread, different speakers obviously, but, gives you an idea Share your Kemper with FRFR settings!=

Edited once, last by Karl ().