Kemper & Apogee Duet - Slightly low output levels

• Hi all,

First post here. After a few weeks of researching (mostly here, thanks!) I picked up a Kemper non-powered rack at the weekend, and am predictably blown away with it. It's replacing an Eleven Rack in my studio as the primary method of recording electric and bass guitars. I bought from Andertons in the UK and took advantage of their half-price TAF Amp Bundle 1 offer. The quality of tones are so impressive, and I'm also really happy with how intuitive it is to use. Kudos to all involved!

There's only one minor issue I've found so far - the overall output of the device is probably around 6dB lower than the 11R. I've used the same setup for both, which is to take the XLR analog outs into the XLR inputs of an Apogee Duet, which then feeds into Cubase. The lower output is noticeable through both headphones, monitors (Adam A7Xs), and the output from Cubase tracks, so I don't believe it's a DAW config issue. For reference, here are the settings I have across the devices:

Output: Main Volume = 0.0dB
    Output: Master Volume = 10.0
    Input: Clean Sense = 0.0dB
    Input: Distortion Sense = -0.0dB
    Profile volumes = 0.0dB
    Noise gate intensity = 0.0

Apogee Maestro Control:
    In-1 & In-2 = XLR Line +4dBu

Apogee Maestro Mixer:
    Inputs 1 & 2 = +4dB (this is raised from 0dB, which is where the 11R was set)
    From Software = 0dB
    To Hardware = 0dB

Do anything of those settings appear to be questionable, or has anyone else experienced a similar situation? While recording a bass track last night (using TAF Ampeg 1x15 profile) I had to bump the profile's 'volume' up to +4dB, then push the fader in Cubase to +3dB to get the volume required. I've also found a few of the guitar profiles are just a few dB quieter coming out of the Duet than expected. As a general setting, where do you run the 'volume' of your profiles? I feel like this could be remedied by pushing the 'volume' of each profile I'm using up a few dB, but I'd like to check for any more general solutions first.

If anyone can shed any light / input, it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jordan

• Check if the Main Output is linked to the Master Volume (output menu). If not, link it. Unlink everything else. This way you can control the level from KPA-Output to your interface simply by adjusting the KPA-Master Volume

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Hi jhumber, welcome here :)

The comparison seems to me a bit aleatory: you should factor in the actual level of each profile. Unlike models, a profile can be recorded and saved at different levels, not to mention the infinite gains related to the various EQs, compressors, boosters and so on. The Master volume will anyway attenuate/amplify from there, not in an absolute way.

Feel free to raise a rig's volume as long as the output LED doesn't stay in the red area: then you'll be able to use the Master volume to determine the amount of the signal hitting your interface. Refer to the interface's sensitivity/input meters to determine how much you can raise the Profiler's Master volume. As a general rule, as you certainly know, the more robust the gain staging, the better the overall sound.

If this can be of help, you can tweak the rig's volume and resave the rig :)

• You're welcome. Please report back if and how you solved the problem.

I checked the linking of the Main Output and Master Volume, and it was linked. After some more playing/recording with the Kemper, I think the answer lies in having bumped the Duet's inputs +4dB on the Maestro mixer, and then just riding the 'volume' of the profiles that are quieter. It's more noticeable on some profiles, and not an issue at all with others, so I'm happy to balance the relative levels using the volume of each profile.
    Thanks again
    Jordan

• Sorry if this seems a silly related question, as I also have a Duet, but does anyone know how to keep the Kemper Master volume "locked"? What I mean is, for a long recording process I want to keep my master volume out of the Kemper stable at the same level.

I used to keep it halfway on 5, but sometimes I would adjust it when practicing, but when going back to 5 to continue recording, it's hard to figure out where I was because 5.0 could be anything between 5.0 and 5.1 because the Kemper doesn't show the 10ths increments.

My only solution is to crank it full to max 10 so I always know it's maxed out then use the Duet or DAW to lower volume as needed.

• I used to keep it halfway on 5, but sometimes I would adjust it when practicing, but when going back to 5 to continue recording, it's hard to figure out where I was because 5.0 could be anything between 5.0 and 5.1 because the Kemper doesn't show the 10ths

There's no way to lock the output. I hear a difference between 5.0 and 5.1, but not inbetween, like 5.05. Do you?

• Quoted from "nkay"

I used to keep it halfway on 5, but sometimes I would adjust it when practicing, but when going back to 5 to continue recording, it's hard to figure out where I was because 5.0 could be anything between 5.0 and 5.1 because the Kemper doesn't show the 10ths

There's no way to lock the output. I hear a difference between 5.0 and 5.1, but not inbetween, like 5.05. Do you?

My ears believe I do, but could be imaginary when turning dial, but does the volume jump like that between increments or is it smooth?