What is the different between the"kemper with poweramp" and "kemper without poweramp"?

• hey guys, i m thinking of buying a kemper amp but i cant decide which version should i get and the prices are quit different .....

I got 2 questions:

1) I m a bedroom studio guitar player , 90% time i play at my bedroom studio which just got a pair of monitor (m-audio BX5a) , so my signal chain would be "guitar - >kemper - >audio interface - > monitor

in this situation , would "kemper with poweramp" and "kemper without poweramp" be different?

2)I play some live too , most of lives i just plug my effector(HD500) into the amp "return" and sounds "OK", what if i change the hd500 to kemper? would it be so much different(better)?

Thanks for help guys

• Ciao Jimmy, welcome :)

If you use active cabs/monitors you'll have mo use for the active Profiler, whose power amp is meant to drive passive cabs.

Yes, you can connect the Profiler to the return of your amp. The more linear the amp, the better the results. It won't certainly sound worse than any modeller :D

• The only difference is as these fine gentlemen pointed out - if you use powered monitors, then you won't need the power amp. If you are using plain old speakers with no power source, then you will need the KPA with poweramp, OR, you can power the speakers with a separate amplifier and just use the KPA without a power amp. The poweramp literally provides power to speakers. So, there's a lot of talk about which Cabs to use with the KPA.

If you are playing live, however, you need to consider how the KPA is going to be used. You can use the KPA without poweramp (aka, "the lunchbox") and then plug into a regular guitar amp, but that will color the tone and you won't get exactly what you're looking for. IF, however, you use a powered monitor (FRFR - full range flat response) that you would use for a keyboard or for just vocals, then you can use the non-powered KPA lunchbox. Or, you can use the KPA with poweramp and plug into speaker cabs. OR, you can use the KPA lunchbox and plug directly into the house system, which you can then hear through the house speakers and/or monitors.

I used to use the HD500, too, and I can say that the KPA has much better tone and definitely better dynamic response. I actually use my HD500 as a midi controller for my KPA now, and if I have to, I will use my HD500 in cases when my KPA isn't necessary. Have fun!