Some pots feel loose/wiggly

• As a follow up I contacted support and was told that the pots were within the natural spread of the pots.

Here is the video sent.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thoughts?

• Deadpan, I had the same issue and even sent it back so they could actually touch them. I got the "everything is fine" with the pots. I haven't had any problems with them but the do feel flimsy and cheap. I don't know if this helps you but just thought you might want to know your not the only one with this issue.

mojo

:thumbup: "A single note can be short lived but a melody will last a life time." Paul Muller

• Guys part of the issue here is they ARE NOT pots! They are rotary encoders (incremental type specifically) so how they are built and function is fundamentally differently from the potentiometers we have been familiar with in our old tube amps.

I understand that there is some range of tightness to the feel for theses but unlike a pot I have not seen any adverse effect from them being "looser" within reason. The nature of the construction of a rotary encoder as opposed to an old school pot lends to this different "feel" while still being fully functional and proper within the design spec of the part - I say all of this as an old school electronic engineer with 40 years experience with these types of things.

• I have to say that Kemper support referred to them as pots to me directly.

Regardless, as you say,it may never be an issue but if they loosen with time I would believe that a looser knob would have less to go to fail and that is the concern.

I guess support is just trying to simplify things and use "old" inaccurate terminology so as not to confuse us simple minded musicians - this is unfortunate as they really really are not pots and that difference is significant to this discussion.

I hope Kemper support is reading this and trains there support staff to be more accurate in the future when referring to the unit and its components. Referring to the parts compliment with such inaccurate terminology really does a disservice to the unit and its user base.

Having said that I again suspect that you will find the encoders will function well for many many years to come. I will also add that the nature of these components does make them a bit more sensitive to abuse and off axis deflection of the shafts relative to the unit - in other words try and make sure that the knobs do not experience unnecessary lateral (sideways) forces as they are a bit more sensitive to this than an old school pot would be.