Audio Interface for the Kemper

• Hi,

I got my Kemper a few days ago and I think I am in a need of a new Interface cause my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB doesn't have a S/PDIF and only 2 Line Monitor Outputs.

Somebody recommended an Avid MBox. I am not sure if the Preamps are as good as the One's from my Focusrite. The Scarlet 6i6 from Focusrite is in the same Price Range like the Avid Mbox. I am also not sure if it would be problematic if I use 2 Audio Interfaces on the same Computer.

Heavy Greetz

• Hey dude. You can use your saphires XLR inputs to connect your KPA?

Hey, I recorded with my Inputs. But I had to use one of the Monitor Outputs to get the signal to the Kemper when I want to Reamp. The Interface has two more Outputs but they are only 1/2 I think. My Interface looks like that:
    http://us.focusrite.com/usb-au…fire-6-usb/setup-diagrams

I am not sure how to manage reamping or recording DI and Wet at the same Time. Maybe I should experiment a little with the other RCA outputs.But I think I can't connect one of these to the Kemper.

Heavy Greetz

• I am using the Saffire 6 USB too and often record the DI from the direct out parallel to the processed signal on the main.

For reamping it should be no Problem to use the outputs on the back of the Saffire to one of the inputs of the kemper.
    I have not tried it yet, but it should be possible without any problems.

The only thing i´m not sure at the moment is how the line level from the interface will sound in comparison to the guitar straight plugged in.

Maybe you give it a try. I think the Saffire is a really good interface in its price range.
    SPDIF is nice, but not necessary for a normal player outside the studio IMO.

• Hi, I also like my Saffire 6 USB and don't really want to have another Interface. But maybe S/PDIF would male reamping a little easier. I will have to try if I could use a pair of the other Inputs to reamp. Not really sure if they send the same Signal like the Monitor Outs which are connected to my Yamaha Monitors. The Main Outs say +4dbV and the other one's -10dbV so I think they send a very weak signal. Have you ever reamped with the Saffire 6 USB or do you just record through the XLR Inputs on the Front. The Hi-Z Ins are also not as good as I thought. I had a lot of clipping on my DI''s.

Heavy Greetz

• I have tried to reamp one of my records in the past, but unfortunately just for testing purposes.
    It was shortly after i got my KPA and i don´t really remember how the signal was in detail. I think it was nearly the same as with the guitar straight into the KPA afterwards, but as said i don´t remember exactly.

If the DI Signal is unedited in the DAW and is played solo over the Monitor Out of the Saffire it should have a similiar level compared to the guitar itself. So this should work for reamping.

If i have it right in my mind you can adjust the volume of the direct out in the output meny too, so if the DI signal reaches the exact same level as the guitar plugged in into the saffire it should work fine.

Most time i just take the left channel main and go into the Saffire. That fits 99.9% for my needs so far.
    But i have preordered the new Tascam US-16x08 which does have SPDIF so i will check that too in the near future. Unfortunately it will stay in the rehearsal room all the time so i dont have the ability to play around with it at home.

• Hei EachHit,

you can safely use your RCA outputs, just use a proper cable or a cheap adaptor: they are (unbalanced) line outs. So you have 2 inputs (remember to set them to Line and not Hi-Z when you use the Profiler) and 6 outs... you can do whatever you want, no need to spend more money :)

Recording the Profiler with the analog inputs is ok :)

• Hei EachHit,

you can safely use your RCA outputs, just use a proper cable or a cheap adaptor: they are (unbalanced) line outs. So you have 2 inputs (remember to set them to Line and not Hi-Z when you use the Profiler) and 6 outs... you can do whatever you want, no need to spend more money :)

Recording the Profiler with the analog inputs is ok :)

Yesterday I did some further testing with recording from the Main Outs from the Kemper that go into my Interfaces Inputs. That worked very well. I never really use the Hi-Z any more on that Interface cause soemtimes it clips my DI's even if it's not showing any clipping.
    The Signal what comes out of the Kemper is actually pretty hot. I had to use the Pad's on my Inteface and lower the Output from the Kemper so the Preamps are not clipping.
    I recorded both Inputs and the Main Outs were set to Stack. Strange thing is that I didn't get the exact same signal on both Outputs. I realized that cause I inverted the phase and I could still here the signal I recorded very silent and quiet.
    I also tried to reamp but I think I haven't really understand how to proper do it cause I just got noise which sounds like a sinewave by just connecting the Outs from my Interface to the Return Input from the Kemper.

Heavy Greetz