Sound card info

• I chose to ask this here since I'm asking this for two different purposes.

Mainly it's for midi and spdif usage which I'm trying to get my (simple) head around in order to take better advantage of Kemper's offerings.

I'm upgrading a PC with Windows 8.1 but (as near as I can tell) will need some sort of sound card for these puposes.
    http://images.highspeedbackbon…5020/C44-5020-callout.jpg

As near as I can tell, leveraging the spdif connections from the Kemper will get me direct access to the sound card and Rig Manager.Correct?

My other goal is to achieve a direct interface of the FCB1010 via midi for controller editing. This is where my thinking might be dated.

My previous midi experience leveraged a sound blaster card's game-port in order to interface with the controller.

No problem getting a similar (mini) card to fit the PC I'll be using, but before doing so, I wonder if there's perhaps a more efficient way to go.

For instance, I've seen several types of USB to Midi controller connectors which may have advantages. Yes or No?
    I think I also read somewhere that Kemper requires a 48 spdif transfer rate for the interface to work. Can someone confirm this please.

Any help here will guide me in selecting the proper card for these purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Kemper

• Thx Paul
    For several reasons, I'm very much liking your external audio interface recommendation approach.

To clarify:
    I do understand Rig Manager's connection is fundamentally a USB A style to a USB B style connection.
    I guess I just failed to mention I knew this.
    What I'm looking to accomplish with the SPDIF connection is a "soundbite preview" evaluation of a rig prior to downloading it.
    I believe this ability is possible as long as the SPDIF is connected to a PC, DAW or even my DXR10.
    Currently without this connection, I'm selecting downloads merely by description.
    (Poor, poor, pitiful me LOL)

Moreover, my other goal is to allow a direct realtime interface to the FCB1010 for simpler programming.

I did find that M-Audio offers an M-Track product which might just work for these needs.
    http://m-audio.com/products/view/m-track

If the M-Track offers the direct midi interface I'm expecting in order to leverage the FCB1010 PC Editor, I'd think it'd be a much better approach rather than messing with configuration of any sound card.

If the M-track does what I think it will, I think you just saved me a boatload of aggravation and brought a result much better than what I was looking for.

Happy Kemper

• What I'm looking to accomplish with the SPDIF connection is a "soundbite preview" evaluation of a rig prior to downloading it.
    I believe this ability is possible as long as the SPDIF is connected to a PC, DAW or even my DXR10.

You obviously need to be able to play the KPA while browsing rigs in rig-manager. Any headset or decent speaker will do. A set of monitors hooked up to a computer-audio-interface will also do the job as long as the interface offer hardware monitoring (most do) Software-monitoring through a DAW is generally not recommended because it may introduce too much latency.

I did find that M-Audio offers an M-Track product which might just work for these needs.

You need the M-Track-Plus to get S/PDIF in/out.

• Following a more detailed comparison, I decided to get this instead.
    http://www.native-instruments.…erfaces/komplete-audio-6/

I chose the Audio 6 mostly for it's ability to slave to the the Kemper @ the 44.1 rate.
    Favorable feedback write-ups also influenced me a bit as well.

Perhaps the M-Track-Plus could have handled the 44.1 as well, but I simply couldn't verify that.

Anyway, now all the connections and RTFM learning curve fun begins.
    It's all good. : )

Happy Kemper