Some kind of "classical" intro ...

• ... which needs a wide guitar sound which i cannot find. i think i posted this in the wrong category. here we go again:

I am sure about it: almost every guitarist on the planet knows it:I cant get no satisfaction with my SOUND! Using the possibilities of the new RM i have reamped a track of mine with hundreds if not thousands of rigs. (I had reached the end of letter "G", when i stopped). To no avail. So i want to know once and for all times: does my playing suck or do i have to book a course in mixing lessons? Now you guys come into play. Would you like to listen to the samples and tell me what is going wrong?I have listened to the clean guitar over and over and i cannot hear major faults. So why does the guitar sound thin and cold? What do i need, more pre- and post-EQing, more or better effects or does my playing suck. I could handle the truth, guys. I am not Michael Mellner, and i am aware of this fact. Nevertheless i cannot hear major flaws in my playing. Thoughts are much appreciated.

The Backing Track itself
    With a rig by Michael Britt
    The clean Guitars, via SPDIF, first 8 bars LP Neck Pickup, next 8 bars modern Strat HB

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• Thank you Paul for listening. :) No download here. I "composed" the intro. Let my wife (a classical piano player) play the keys and played the rest by myself.

Bass is VST which comes with Cubase. Drum Sounds come from a MIDI file played by Matt Bisonette with EZ Drummer 2 sounds, improved by EZ mix plugin. Keys are Cubase keys also. The sound for the guitar i am after should be like "Starry Night" by Joe Satriani or "When love walks in" by EVH or anything by Carlos Santana. I always try to sound like a singer and not primarily as a guitarist. I hear the melody as kind of a verse in a song. The closest i get to this sound i want i achieve - strangely enough - with a preset of the cheap Zoom G2 with a preset which uses a fuzz face in addition to delay and reverb.

Have a nice day!

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• As I think you have already discovered, a wide guitar sound comes from adding delay and reverb.

"Starry Night" has a multiple repeat delay, set to sound like a reverb, and it is turned up quite a bit.

When you have a wide, spacious guitar sound, you will be able to turn it down a little, compared to the backing tracks, and it will "sit into" the mix, but still be heard very well.

The delay in "When Love Walks In" is almost as loud as the guitar, and the guitar is barely above the rest of the mix.

I think making the sounds in the backing tracks bigger, would also make the whole track sound bigger, too. Maybe more of a concert hall reverb sound? When the synth comes in with the piano, try two synth sounds, panned off-center. I would like it if "Greg" was hitting the drums harder (if you increase the MIDI volume on the drum MIDI track in your DAW, EZD2 will make it sound like he is doing that). If that is hard to do, you could switch to a bigger sounding drum set, and use a longer reverb decay.

• Thanks Paul! I have a day off on Monday. It is reserved for making music.

I am going to follow this step by step. I will use the route to single tracks function of EZD2 and add reverb to the snare, increase the volume and replace the MIDI files by loops by a real drummer, that should be a beginning. I will try to pan the keys like you said and add reverb or double the piano, or both. My bass playing has become too sloppy, but i have bought trilian yesterday, will install the 22 GB and i am sure: this will help also.
    About the delay and reverb to be used in the guitar, i am - nevertheless - totally at a loss. Which delay time is to be used, which delay, in cubase or in the KPA? which reverb and to what degree, this is all chinese to me.
    anyway, the new files should be here monday at (let me see) 3pm ohio time zone. cheers :thumbup:

• I'm picturing something similar to a slow Steve Vai or David Gilmour song -

Maybe the simplest way to do it would be to use a reverb in your DAW, with a 1/8 note "pre-delay" on the reverb,

Set it to 100% wet (pick something that sounds good at 100% wet, but a little darker than the guitar) , and put just enough of it in the mix to make the guitar sound bigger, without sounding too distant.

It can also be done in the Kemper, but is likely quicker in the DAW. I suppose you could copy the reverb and delay settings in from one of the Gilmour rigs, and then Tap an 1/8th note.

Can someone else suggest a simpler way?

• Now i am really confused. Set it to 100% wet (pick something that sounds good at 100% wet, but a little darker than the guitar) , and put just enough of it in the mix to make the guitar sound bigger, without sounding too distant. 100% wet in cubase, right? and the rest is about refining a gilmour rig, in the KPA right? which one? thx

• Geraldo, what everyone here is trying to tell you:
    Start from scratch, learn the basics, learn to make up a good rhythm track, learn your DAW.

It's a pity that you didn't follow my advice to play the bass yourself and do a bit audio quantisation later on.
    Instead you say: my bass playing has become too sloppy.
    Then practice your part instead of buying Trillian!
    You keep on asking for delay and reverb times.
    But this is like painting by numbers, you'll never get an original picture doing it this way.

Again I recommend that you work through the tutorials at http://www.therecordingrevolution.com which are a great resource to get better at recording and mixing which is definitely what you want in the long run.

• @Ingolf

Thank you for your open words. Yes, in the long run, i want to get better at recording. in the "short run" i will play the bass in trilian, because it sounds better in the mix. and this again motivates me to play better. i am going to include a real bass with the next version. but this is only a detail.
    Seriously thinking about buying the video tutorial "rethink mixing" at therecordingrevolution. i never ever learned sth in my life through books or tipps, just watching.

Thanks again

• Hi there, ATMA Brahma Part II

I have improved as much as i could on the the sounds, learned a few tricks, not enough yet, but the mix is better.
    So the ONE question i put to myself and you: is it possible to reamp the track in a way that it sounds good, i mean really good.????????????????????

cheers

• Maybe this advice was one of the best of my life: start from scratch, learn the basics, cause: that is what you want in the long run.
    I have signed up as a student of Graham at recordingrevolution and in the videos i have watched until now, we started from scratch.
    Next weeks you will not see and hear much of me, guys. cu

• Maybe this advice was one of the best of my life: start from scratch, learn the basics, cause: that is what you want in the long run.
    I have signed up as a student of Graham at recordingrevolution and in the videos i have watched until now, we started from scratch.
    Next weeks you will not see and hear much of me, guys. cu

That's great. Stick to it and you're on track. i know I have learned a lot from Graham and still do.