Buying an Atomic CLR

• Thanks Ingolf,

actually I would prefer to test several solutions before I buy one. Forgot to mention the Yamaha DXR 12 (?) which should also be a considerable option.

Unfortunately it is impossible to either test the Matrix Q12A / Matrix gt 1000 / Atomic CLR - at least here in Bremen (Germany) and the surrounding area, so I will most likely have to rely on other peoples opinions / reviews / videos you can find on the net. ( There are a few good reviews . e.g. look in youtube - Pete Thorn is reviewing both the Matrix GT 1000 as well as the Atomic CLR - he is a great guitar player and makes really nice demos)

• Just take the risk. The active CLR is amazing, you won't be dissapointed.

Remember to read the manual carefully about gain staging, it's important to get the input levels right to max the SPL on the CLR.

I play mainly metal and I was really suprised how well one active CLR on a pole could match my friends stack consisting of a Peavey 6505+, Orange 4x12 and a Gibson 2x12. The CLR does get REALLY loud.. :)

gear>kemper rack-atomicCLR-fcb1010-espViper400-gretschJet-Firebird-7

• Just take the risk. The active CLR is amazing, you won't be dissapointed. Remember to read the manual carefully about gain staging, it's important to get the input levels right to max the SPL on the CLR.I play mainly metal and I was really suprised how well one active CLR on a pole could match my friends stack consisting of a Peavey 6505+, Orange 4x12 and a Gibson 2x12. The CLR does get REALLY loud.. :)

Sounds good - in my band we play metal and I have to compete with our lead guitarist using a 5150 and a 4x12 + our bass player using a 200 watts all tube mesa boogie with a 4x10 and 15' (he is a madman)

• Sounds good - in my band we play metal and I have to compete with our lead guitarist using a 5150 and a 4x12 + our bass player using a 200 watts all tube mesa boogie with a 4x10 and 15' (he is a madman)

With the loudness the CLR can achieve you won't have problems.
    That said, when people use the term 'compete' I always shake my head.

Playing music in a band is a team thing, no competition.
    If it is you should overthink things.

Sorry I don't meann to patronize or lecture you, and sorry for the derail.

• Thanks @nervousfingers_29 for your insight on other equipment out there.

I got my Kemper Power Rack this week and been looking for a good speaker cab for the KPA for a couple of weeks. For the last couple of days I thought it was only the CLR I could go for, because it's all I read about everywhere. Glad to hear that there is some other FRFR stuff around.

I'm sure that the CLRs are really good, but I don't really like the unavailability and having to sign up for them. I'm quite impatient when it comes to that, I guess! :)
    Because since I have nothing else atm, I connected the KPA to my existing Marshall VS100 combo through the effects return, but tbh that's really disappointing and gives me crappy sound. So I need something else rather sooner than later.

Cheers

• Good summary, @nervousfingers_29.
    And yes, KPA-solutions.com is also a serious contender IMO.

Ingolf, I think I saw your YT video on the comparison between CLR and DXR-10. That is you isn't it? :)

Do you have any experience with the KPA-solutions products with the Kemper?

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here btw, but I'm still not sure what to go for: CLR, Matrix, KPA-Solutions, Tech 21...

Cheers

• Woah I need to post an apology! I HAVE got an email back from Atomic, confirming I've been put on their waiting list. For some reason, it was intercepted by my spam filter and thrown in the Junk mailbox, even though my settings require that I manually delete any flagged mails. So strange. Apologies to Atomic and whoever may have been misled by my post.

Cheers,
    Sam

• Thanks @nervousfingers_29 for your insight on other equipment out there.

Glad to hear that there is some other FRFR stuff around.

Sure, there are lots of "FRFR" cabs on the market since decades :)

The CLR is somehow different, both in the price/quality department that in the implemented features, which are quite unique in this arena. They're worth waiting IMO, just like a Profiler :D
    No question you can like how other cabs sound tho :)

• Yes, that's me. ;)
    My experience with KPA- solutions is that I tested them twice, different units though.
    They sound great and are made by Tilman Ritter who is one of the most respected amp buildesr snd amp tuners in Germany.

If you want to go FRFR you should generally exclude Tech 2 because they aren't FRFR.
    Otherwise, in that price range, Atomic CLR wins for me personally against KPA- Solutions and Matrix.
    Best bang for the buck IMO.
    One price range down it is the Yamaha DXR 10 for sure.

• With the loudness the CLR can achieve you won't have problems.
    That said, when people use the term 'compete' I always shake my head.

Playing music in a band is a team thing, no competition.
    If it is you should overthink things.

Sorry I don't meann to patronize or lecture you, and sorry for the derail.

"Compete" was for me actually the right word - as our drummer plays a little bit like a carpenter (he is playing like a madman with highest volume possible and crushing drum sticks) - also our bass player has continuously get reminded to lower his volume of his Mesa Stack - its actually quite annoying because the sound is better if we lower the volume. Therefore I just need the ability of having enough volume to be heard when drummer and bass player are pushing the volume.

• "Compete" was for me actually the right word - as our drummer plays a little bit like a carpenter (he is playing like a madman with highest volume possible and crushing drum sticks) - also our bass player has continuously get reminded to lower his volume of his Mesa Stack - its actually quite annoying because the sound is better if we lower the volume. Therefore I just need the ability of having enough volume to be heard when drummer and bass player are pushing the volume.

Gotcha! :)
    Sometimes you need the 'loudness authority' to turn them down.
    ;)

• Normally you do not need that high volume... To be honest I can not even push my current stack to more than 20% of the max master volume on the gain channel....

If you look on the picture below - the knob on the far right is the master volume 2 for my dirt channel... In this setting it is already far too loud for a rehearsal session. And that amp is just a 60 Watts head - no clue what 100 Watt heads were made for.... (-;

[Blocked Image: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/shmixxor/10002912_10202995762997164_5342898737964203122_n_zps49874f04.jpg]

• I think this is a reminder of the times when the PA was used for vocals only and each musician had their own amp on stage :)

OTOH, a 100-W amp is only marginally more performant in terms of SPL than a 60-W amp... I'd say a couple of dB. You'd need a 600-W amp to have double the volume.

• Just a question, was it so that the power rack has only an mono output?

gear>kemper rack-atomicCLR-fcb1010-espViper400-gretschJet-Firebird-7

• Dude CLR is clearly the winner, I'm sorry if I sound authoritative or dismissive , but after my skepticism I converted to full believer:

i I am already finalizing my Neo active purchase atm

its same as the classic modeler debate: go hi end with kemper or axe, middle with 11r or low end with pod, but we know if u want the best which to buy

• duh.... You guys ;)

but really, I was truly looking for the best cab a few months ago when I had a near fatal back injury in car accident, so as I sat home, I waited and read, and this finally pushed me and motivated to really look at options on the hi end (as you know I was using an entry/mid level pe60) but you all made it easier to decide, coupled with the new neodymium so I can have a light cab for my back if have to move it

plus Tom king is a helluva guy, and I love supporting smaller, "local" business, especially for areas or interest I'm passionate about

so NEO WEDGE IS ON DA WAY! :D lol

• No response from Atomic to my email either. After a couple weeks waiting, I bought a 12" powered EV. Very happy with the EV so far.

I'm using the Matrix Q12a, it's a great FRFR-cab, eye-to-eye to the CLR. Ingo and myself made a comparison (Q12a/CLR) and to our surprise the cabs sounded nearly identical. So, it doesn't have to be a CLR and the CLR is not "the best", "better than anything else" ect. Of course it's an excellent FRFR-cab, but other dads have nice daughters, too. ;)

I never liked this fanboyism: "what I have is the best"....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de