Settings for Yamaha DXR

• Today first non-rehearsel live gig with dxr12 and mbritt's profiles. i put HP filter on on 100 Hz tot get rid of unwanted low frequenties. I always before played on combo's. With the mbritt profiles the highs and midpunch is very good, but the bass is not so very thight as on a combo. but i guess that is because a celestion V30 simply moves air in a different way than the Yamaha 12 inch (together with the tweeter) does.

• Hi barefly, that's interesting, I do enjoy the balls a vale amp and v 30s give I.e punch. I tried the yamaha at 100 hz and FOH mode, sounds fine in the house but really worried about gigging it! But I'm using 1x12 DXR and 1x10 DXR so hoping for a bit more meat. Did you still enjoy your gig though? And duo think you can improve on the sound?

mark

• Hi Mark, yes it was fun, with Kemper you have 90% of the sound of a valve combo. But it is a lot easier to bring along . i was almost as fast with building up as the Singers :) . maybe the dxr10 sounds a bit more tight in the bass, and you can use a cab with powerhead or external amp, but i dont have experience with those .

• To archieve a better signal/noise ratio it should be better to have the KPA master at nearly maximum and turn the DXR volume up just to point where you need it. Perhaps add some extra db on the DXR and reduce the same amount on the KPA to have some extra headroom during your performance.

Turning up the DXR to full volume is not a good idea. Someone stepping on your cable between KPA and DXR or even pulling it out will cause an inferno :D The DXR´s own hiss will also he much higher.

• To archieve a better signal/noise ratio it should be better to have the KPA master at nearly maximum and turn the DXR volume up just to point where you need it. Perhaps add some extra db on the DXR and reduce the same amount on the KPA to have some extra headroom during your performance.

Turning up the DXR to full volume is not a good idea. Someone stepping on your cable between KPA and DXR or even pulling it out will cause an inferno :D The DXR´s own hiss will also he much higher.

Thank you, I didn't mean turning up the DXR to full volume, but half or a little more. I know the noise will be louder, but generally speaking, shouldn't the speaker work "better" at high volume, as it was designed? I'm talking about letting the cone "pump", but maybe I'm still stuck with the traditional guitar speaker X/

Also, (if it makes any difference), I'm not talking about monitoring but using the DXR like an ordinary amplifier, if your PA system is poor.

• Thank you, I didn't mean turning up the DXR to full volume, but half or a little more. I know the noise will be louder, but generally speaking, shouldn't the speaker work "better" at high volume, as it was designed? I'm talking about letting the cone "pump", but maybe I'm still stuck with the traditional guitar speaker X/

Also, (if it makes any difference), I'm not talking about monitoring but using the DXR like an ordinary amplifier, if your PA system is poor.

In the end loudness is loudness. Like Till said, turning up the DXR unnecessarily high increases hissing.
    But in my experience it's easy to find a good balance.

• I use the XLR ins at line level, and find -8db on the Yamaha gives a good range of volume without adding too much hiss. I then use the Kemper 1/4" outs into a stereo Radial JDI direct box to my console for recording. I find the Jensen transformers add a little extra mojo for recording.

Also, remember to turn any unused inputs on the Yamaha all the way so as not to add additional noise.

• A little offtopic, but interesting though. Found this information on TGP. Since i always wondered about differences between the different Yamaha active monitor series, this might be helpful:

DBR, DXR and DSR Series Powered Speaker Comparison.

Last Update: 11/01/2014

Yamaha offers three separate lines of powered loudspeakers. Each line
    offers advantages to various customers. Let’s look more closely at
    these three lines.

DBR Series - Yamaha’s most portable line of powered loudspeaker, these
    three models (10”, 12” and 15”) offer lightweight, high impact plastic
    enclosures and offer 1000W of digital power (700W for the DBR10). The
    amplifiers, power supplies and transducers are protected by multiple
    protection circuits to deliver maximum output . They offer 2 input
    channels one can accept a microphone via a switch on the rear of the unit.which
    engages a preamp. They offer a 35mm socket to allow pole or tripod
    mounting. Three fly points allow suspended mounting. Custom designed
    transducers allow remarkable low distortion, high output sound.

DXR Series - This line represents a step up from the DBR series, with
    higher power amplifiers (1100W), more robust transducers, and tuning
    from the best in the world. We worked closely with Nexo engineers at
    their state of the art design facility in France to carefully voice and
    improve the cabinet designs to offer clarity and extremely low
    distortion. These loudspeakers use outboard A/D convertors to reduce
    noise and improve dynamic range. Cabinet material is ABS composite,
    increaseing rigidity and eliminating cabinet induced distortion. U
    brackets are available for each model, and multiple fly points allow
    suspended installation . The mixer on the rear of the DXR allows 3
    separate inputs and offers an exclusive stereo LINK OUT function, to
    allow a mono input (either microphone or line) and two stereo inputs to
    be connected via one DXR speaker and a single cable can run to the
    another DXR speaker providing full stereo separation with only a single
    wire being run in between. There are 4 full range models in the DXR line
    (8”, 10”, 12” and 15”) and two high performance DXS subwoofers (12” and
    15”) complete this lineup.

DSR Series - Our premium line of powered loudspeakers comes in three
    full range models, 12”, 15” and dual 15”. This line was developed to
    deliver the highest output in the class with extremely accurate
    resolution. Using highly efficient Class D amplifiers with 1500W of
    power, and a switching power supply with power factor correction we
    eliminated the need for fan cooling. Extensive DSP allows up to 138dB of
    SPL. Custom designed transducers were developed to handle the high
    outputs from the amplifiers offering remarkable output and clarity. The
    cabinets used for the DSR line are made from highly braced wood to allow
    the extreme SPL output. We use Line X coating (truck bed liner) to
    further protect these rugged cabinets. The DSR112 and DSR115 have fly
    points for suspended installation. The DSR series are made to be used
    with a mixer, so the input panel is simplified and offers either an XLR
    or ¼” input along with an XLR output for daisy chaining. There is a
    simple switch to engage a high pass filter (HPF) when using with
    subwoofers. There is a high powered 1020W matching 18” subwoofer with a
    built-in low pass filter (LPF) to complete the DSR line. These
    electronic crossovers have been optimized to work together to get the
    most from the system with a minimum of hassle.

• I own a dxr10 and I use it as a floor monitor with eq flat and dsp flat...but at tye moment I've used it only in small clubs... I will give a try to the dsp "monitor mode" when I'll play in large open stages with big audio service (cause I noticed that "monitor mode" on dxr cut low freq and it would be useful on stage with big P.A. with big subwoofers).

"I've nothing to say...but I'm saying" (John Cage)