annoying high frequentie SOLVED SOLVED

• I didn't mean to make fun with you, probably the wording was wrong.;)
    Different cables have different damping and will therefore sound different, some more trebly, some more mellow or dull even. Some will pick up more noise than others and of course there are crappy and quality cables out there. ;)

• It depends on the application tho. With a line-leve signal there's really few to make up, but with a guitar signal the cable capacity can make a world of difference. I've tried some really expensive cables that really make my guitar sound like a different instrument into the Profiler.
    Whether that was the "real" sound of my guitar or not is debatable, but electrically speaking the difference was there, and not at all subtle.

• Glad you got it sorted Shimmer!

The only other issue I get similar is when the definition parameter is raised too high in the amp block - that leads to an almost 'half-cocked' wah sound, if you have high output pickups, it might be worth experimenting with this also.

Main thing, go play, enjoy, record and track down your favourite tones -

-Tonerider

• Definitely a difference between line, speaker and guitar cables, no doubt about it.

A bad cable can't be helped by tweaking on the amp, but I think the difference between decent quality and "audiophile-grade" cables is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Not really. I was using a Reference cable, which is considered quite good at the basic price. Then my friend Umberto Fiorentino from Lingomania (the most famous Italian electric-fusion group) changed it with a japanese cable which costed ten times the price (I can ask him the brand if you are curious), and the sound was completely different. Again, like I were playing another guitar.

The "debatable" I mentioned in my previous post refers to the fact that the traditional sound of a guitar is got through traditional cables, and PUs developers have that sound in mind and use those cables when testing their products. So the "real" sound of a PU is never actually heard. Above all, when we try a guitar we use a traditional cable and judge its sound through that as well :)
    So I'm not saying that a "better" cable gives a "better" tone, just that it can be incredibly different.
    Really, I'd wish all the world could try that cable once, t just sense "how a guitar cable works".

:)

• Actually it is the same analogy as with poweramps. A poweramp will sound different with a different load/cab.
    Also we never 'hear' a pickup, we only hear its influence in a complex signal chain beginning with strings, potentiometers, cable, amp etc.
    You get the picture.
    So in summary. there never will be a 'real' reference, only a kind of 'common sense', like a 4x12" loaded with V30's.

• True :)

The interesting part in this debate is that, while we all agree on how different a 4x10 can sound from a 1x15" (or a Marshall from a Roland Cube), someone still believes that a cable won't make any difference.
    We spend time, money and resources about finding the cab (or the PUs) we like best, then we grab the first cable we come across and just play, as if it made no difference.
    It's a bit like "my profiles at home don't sound at all like in that clip", if you wish.

:)

• Exactly. But still, in the end, we can agree about what sounds good, don't we?
    We have no problems referring to a common sense.
    We only need to remind ourselves to pay attention to all these details when we are chasing a sound. ;)

This is interesting. Actually I can't say I'm sure about this. How many times we say "one's crappy sound is another's heaven"? How many times someone suggested a profile and not everyone liked it? How many times we've heard someone's tone and been sure we did not like it at all?
    Even the praised pack from MBritt is not for everybody it seems...

• This is interesting. Actually I can't say I'm sure about this. How many times we say "one's crappy sound is another's heaven"? How many times someone suggested a profile and not everyone liked it? How many times we've heard someone's tone and been sure we did not like it at all?
    Even the praised pack from MBritt is not for everybody it seems...

I'm not saying we're dying for the sound that is somebody else's favourite, but in my experience, as I get older and have heard more and learned more about sound and guitar sound in particular, I have become much more appreciative of what is considered a good sound.
    I have come to understand why a certain sound is considered good in a certain genre.
    Common sense as I used the term in my post above surely depends on the willingness to be open to somebody else's sound values. ;)