The best to connect Kpa and CLR Cab ? Xlr or Jack

• Hello,

For the moment i use a monster cable jack to connect my KPA and my CLR active CAB but is there a diffrence with a XLR ?
    And if yes, what is the best to use ?

Thank your for your help !;)

• Hey Papoos,

theoretically an XLR cord sould louder and cleaner (because it is less prone to pick up EM noise from the environment). Practically, if the cord is short enough (less than 5 m), and with the power reserve a CLR has got it's unlikely you're going to notice any difference, unless there's a strong EM pollution in your room :)
    You shall use one of the Main outs tho, Monitor out is unbalanced and you'd get none of the advantages of using a balanced cord (XLR) evenif you used an 1/4" TSR cord.

• The OP did not mention any stage use tho :)

You can also send one Main out to the CLR and the other one to FOH, or use the CLR's Link out to FOH... I was not contemplating various scenarios, just - lacking any context - plain answering the question.
    In a noisy room, with a connection of 5 or above, I'd go XLR from Main out.

:)

• what is pickup em noise?

Electro-magnetic noise can be picked up by electrotechnical devices, cords included. Think for example of neon lights, an electric engine working in the other room (say a washing machine), mobile phones when they engage the cell before receiving a call or an SMS... you name them all. These are all sources of EM noise.

A so-called balanced line is made by two so called balanced sockets (from two different devices, say your Profiler and a CLR) and a balanced cord connecting them. A balanced cord requires XLR or TSR plugs (like stereo, 1/4" ones).
    On a balanced line, two copies of the signal are sent at the same time along the 2 signal wires hosted in the balanced cord. They have been pre-emptively inverted in phase tho.
    The two wires pick up the same noise from the environment. At the end of the line (i.e. at the receiving device) the phase of one of the wires is inverted again and the two halves of the signal summed. The result is that the signal is summed twice, but the two components of noise (which were in-phase along the line) are now inverted in phase, and when summed cancel each other. The result is a stronger signal, and an almost null EM noise component.
    Of course the intrinsic noises generated before the sending socket are not affected.

Now the point is that, a cord picks up more noise the longer it is, and for a short cord (say 5 m) the overall picked up EM noise is usually negligible.

Also, note that if any of the three components needed to have a balanced line is missing, the line is not balanced any more for example, if you connect the Profiler's Monitor out (which is unbalanced by design) to the CLR through a balanced, 1/4" cord.

HTH

:)