profiling questions

• Just got my Kemper head on Saturday and have just done my first profiles.

I had pretty good luck with my old 57 Gibson GA 6 but I'm having problems getting good profiles with my Swart AST. A couple questions.

What do most people set the return volume to when profiling? Nothing I do seems to make any difference before profiling. I can turn the return volume all the way down and my amp is still blasting. It's only after profiling that I see the difference so it's totally guess work. What am I doing wrong? I've been setting the return volume to around -6 db.

Also the volume of the space noises when profiling is INCREDIBLY loud. Is it supposed to be that way? I'm afraid I'm going to fry a speaker. Especially with the thudding bass noises at the end. I'm missing something, right?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Andy B

• If the amp is cranked, the space noises are very loud.

Here is a Manual quote about setting the Return Level:
    "Set the Return Level (Soft Knob 4) so that the level of the reference amp roughly equals the level of the internal sound of the PROFILER. You can check level differences by switching back and forth between the current rig and your reference amp. If the Output LED turns red when you play your reference amplifier, the level is too hot. "

• Yeah, I know. I've read that sentence numerous times. But soft knob 4 makes no difference whatsoever in the volume. That's what I'm saying. it shows various levels of cut and boost but the ACTUAL volume I'm hearing out of the reference amp is the same. The levels I'm setting my amps to are like 3 or 4. They are 15 and 20 watt amps. That's why I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.