best recording setup for Mono (TRS / XLR)

• Hi all,

being new to the KPA i did a first recording setup up last week which gave me some worries.
    Inspired by drumdrum's explanations http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…?postID=159951#post159951 i decided to go analog, since SPDIF is always stereo (correct?) and i do not want to mess around with syncing.

Going analog, my Output-Sections is (Output-Button):
    Main Output: Master Stereo
    Monitor Output: Master Mono

I do only want to record 1 mono track at a time (no stereo effects used) yet i want to record the whole rig, so the sound after the "mic'ed cab".
    The reference Guide 3.0 states, that Master Mono "delivers a mono mix of the Master Stereo signal". OMG, i do not want a stereo signal mixed to mono, i want sinply "real mono".

What is the best way to achieve this? Using just one Master Output Channel (Left/Right) and going direct into the LINE IN of the audio interface? via TRS or XLR? Or using the Monitor Output and set it to something like "Master Left" (according to the reference manual 3.0)?

And to add: my Output Volumes are set to -18.7dB (that's 2.5 on the Master Volume) otherwise my Audio Interface Input would totally clip.
    Is this low output of the Kemper shaping the rig sound at all?

So what do you say? What's the best way to track a mono signal?
    thank you

Edited 2 times, last by MadAxeMan ().

• I do only want to record 1 mono track at a time (no stereo effects used) yet i want to record the whole rig, so the sound after the "mic'ed cab".

If your rig does not include any Stereo Effects, it is a Mono rig.

But, if your rig does include stereo effects, you have three options:
    1) bypass the effects.
    2) set the KPA Output to Mono, and it will output a Mono Rig.
    3) record the Rig in Stereo.

• Best way in my opinion is to use s/pdif and to set the s/pdif output mode to "Git/Stack" (or Git/ModMono or Git/MasterLeft if you prefer that). That way you get TWO mono signals. One is dry and can be used to reamp later one is wet. Quite simple and very versatile. You can, of course, just use one of the signals. Also, if you have trouble with s/pdif sync, my advice would be to just sort it out. If you don't want to do that, you can still go analog and follow Paults's advice.