Using Bass Amp for Guitar & Kemper making sense?

• Hi Kempers,
    i'm looking for an amp to use with the Kemper and 2 EVL 12 Speakers. I think in order to get the Kemper-tones in the air the equipment should be mostly neutral.
    The EV's are very neutral. While looking for an output stage i wondered if i can use my TC Classic 450 Bass Amp for that. It is loud and wheight is only 4 Kg ;-).
    Are there any pros or contras to that idea before i have to make cables and setup stuff? Or do you think it sounds much better to get a Rocktron Velocity or
    something linke that. I don't know why it should be not OK to put the Kemper in the insert of the amp so that only the power stage is in use.

• Thank you Ingolf. Seems that you are a tirelessly reading and answering postings!

May be you are right but the EV's are the most neutral guitar speakers i ever had. In comparison for example Celestion V30 or Greenbacks and stuff.

What do you think about an active Fullrange Box or Monitor Box. Would it be better supporting the sound properties of the kemper?

Greets Harald

• OK. Does anyone has experiences with the power of such (transistor-) powered monitors?
    It should be not much expensive (Kemper got most of my money) ;) and transportable.
    How much power should it have to handle medium gigs? Stereo? So 2 of them?
    Is anyone owning such stuff and satisfied?
    Thanks for answering.
    Greets Harald

Edited once, last by hal2000 ().

• And by the way: Why is it nessesary to take Full Range Boxes? A normal Guitar amp with a normal Cabinet isn't Full Range
    and the Kemper will profile it. So in the end the kemper could only profile the frequencies that the Guitar amp would give.
    So why do i need more frequencies?

• Hey Hal,

would you need amplification for FOH or for stage monitoring?
    I'd advise you to just use a big cab, not two studio monitors (they will never generate enough SPL for FOH, unless you play in front of 10 people and no drummer).
    Also, keep in mind that the quality of your sound will correspond to the weakest link in your chain, so don't waste you great potential by using a 200 $ cab :)

And by the way: Why is it nessesary to take Full Range Boxes? A normal Guitar amp with a normal Cabinet isn't Full Range
    and the Kemper will profile it. So in the end the kemper could only profile the frequencies that the Guitar amp would give.
    So why do i need more frequencies?

You need a more rational scheme of the process.
    For example, take any CD of guitar only (don't know, say Zappa): will it sound good through your guitar rig? Of course it won't. But the frequencies are the same, aren't they?

The general rule is that when a sound passes through several devices (amps, cables, mixers, cabs, mics...) the frequency responses sum to each other. Example: i an amp reproduces 1000 Hz @ +0 dB and then the signal passes through a cable that responds with +1.3 dB @ 1000 Hz, then through a cab that responds with -1.3 dB @ 1000 Hz, you'll hear the 1000 Hz @ 0 dB. IOW, [0] + [1.3] + [-1.3] = 0.

When you profile (or Zappa records) a certain rig (pre, power amp, cab, mic) you get a certain frequency response (that is, a certain volume per each frequency). For example +5 dB @ 1236 Hz, +3.7 dB @ 1343, [...] -8 dB @ 6523 Hz... you get the point.
    Now, let's say for simplicity's sake that you playback this sound through a cab which has exactly the same frequency response as above, that is, that is not linear (like a guitar cab).
    Since frequencies sum to each other, the sound's +5 dB @ 1236 Hz will sum to the cab's +5 dB @ 1236 Hz. The result is that you'll hear the 1236 Hz not @ +5 dB as you'd need for a faithful reproduction of the original sound, but @ +10 dB. And the 1343 Hz @ +7.4 dB, and the 6523 Hz @ -16 dB... and this will be true for each single frequency.
    IOW, non-linearities sum to each other.

HTH :)

• Thank you Viabcroce for that detailed explanation. I got it now.
    At the moment we do amplifing all instrument via PA. So i will have a sound at home most exact as the sound in rehearsal room
    and for stage monitoring.
    May be i have to graduate physics study before i go on with making music.. ;)

Edited once, last by hal2000 ().