Atomic CLR bi amp crossover settings

• Hello,

I have a pair of passive CLRs. I recently bought a QSC PLD DSP power amplifier. The power amplifier opens some interesting options up in regards to bi amping the CLRs. I tried PM'ing Jay Mitchell, but it seems I don't have access.

I was hoping I could get the settings for the different crossover scenarios: bl, tilt, ff.

Thanks,
    Jason

• No worries, I started out at the Fractal forum and saw that he hadn't logged onto there in over two years. I setup this account as I saw he was currently online.

I'll try over at TGP!

Thanks

• There is no straightforward way to replicate the filtering in an active CLR with generic settings for an unknown DSP system. The same settings in different systems will produce different results - which seems quite counterintuitive, but is true nonetheless - so there is no "one size fits all" configuration.

As for DIY "biamping" a passive CLR, that would be an ill-advised move. You would have to modify the speaker to defeat the passive crossover, and you could never equal, let alone improve upon, the performance of the speaker as manufactured. You would place the transducers as risk of damage as well, and, of course, void the manufacturer's warranty.

• Ok, could you please tell me which scenario the passive crossover in the CLRs was optimized for? Should I be running the CLR in tilt or FF for best performance?

As I understand crossover design, you can only optimize for a single scenario when using a passive design. I was not hoping to improve upon the performance of the speaker as manufactured, but instead improve upon the speaker performance as not manufactured in regards to the other speaker placements.My plan was to get in the ballpark with your settings(Type and order of crossover, time-alignment, etc.) and then fine tune using RTA. I understand that any bl setting would be a compromise and would be set for a specific distance from the speaker.

I am aware of the warranty issues, but as I am out of warranty, it is not a concern. I am not sure if this type of stuff is considered trade secrets, I'm just interested mainly as a hobby and figure I'll be experimenting away regardless.

Thanks for any help,
    Jason

Edited 2 times, last by Kingjimmi ().

• Ok, could you please tell me which scenario the passive crossover in the CLRs was optimized for? Should I be running the CLR in tilt or FF for best performance?

It will work very well either as a wedge or elevated with no additional rqualization. Used in an elevated position, you may decide to boost low frequencies a few decibels, but that will depend on local acoustics as much as anything else.

My plan was to get in the ballpark with your settings(Type and order of crossover, time-alignment, etc.)

I suggest you remove and reverse-engineer the passive crossover as a beginning point, then. FYI, there is no "time alignment" in either the passive or active crossover, as none is needed. The components are placed such that alignment is achieved acoustically.

and then fine tune using RTA.

That won't be a productive exercise, for reasons that time, space, and technical level make impossible to explain in an online forum.

I'm just interested mainly as a hobby and figure I'll be experimenting away regardless.

You own 'em; you can do anything you like with them. Since it's a hobby for you, it would be a useful learning experience to study the circuit design of the factory crossover by drawing up a schematic. I suggest you do extensive critical listening both before and after modification. That should be trivially easy, since you own two . It would also be a good idea to make sure that any changes you make are reversible. Just in case....