Kemper and two cabinets?

• Hey, Wondering about how I should connect the kemper powerrack to two cabinets, I got the marshall 1960A and 1960AV, I got the basic idea of Ohms and that you need to match the loads, but on the back of the cabinets you have stereo and mono options. the guitar signal is mono and FX are stereo, So if anyone could give me the cheat sheet to this, dont need a lesson in electronics, as i'm either going 1 cab but for the fun of it i'm going to try two cabs :)

• The internal Poweramp of the Kemper does only work in mono.
    If you want to connect two guitar cabs to the speaker output (red one) you will need a device like this:
    http://www.palmer-germany.com/…-Cabinet-Merger-PCABM.htm

If you want to use your two Marshall cabs in stereo, you would need an external Poweramp with two channels. Then you can connect the Main Outs of the Kemper to the two channels and hook up the first cab to channel 1 (left) and the second to channel 2 (right).

Does that help you?

Regards,
    LH

• Exactly the info I needed, thanks! The cabinet merger looks nice but I've heard the class D poweramp signal in the kemper is different from the usual Class A tube amps, Have you tried this with the kemper or know if it would work?

• I'm glad i could help. :thumbup:
    What do mean with different signal?
    I don't see, why the cab merger would not work with the kemper, but i have no personal experience with this device.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge about the technical aspects could chime in? :)

Regards,
    LH

• <p>The Kemper amp will 16/8/ and 4 ohm outputs so it depends on the load [ speaker{s} ] you choose to use. Some speakers are 4 ohm, if this is the case you will be limited to 600 watts I believe? which by all acounts would either rip the ears clean off your head at 30 paces or launch the driver accross the room.</p>

• <p>My question would be... Why would you wish to run two cabs in mono? You are prepared to spend $3000 dollars on a Kemper, who knows how much on guitars etc. What's another grand or two on a decent set of powered speakers. The only reason I opted for the powered Kemper was for gigging when there was a chance I could blow someone elses driver across the room! I long for a guitarist with a large ego to power up the magic transducer and listen to that seldom heard but always obvious crunching buzz. Even better with smoke!</p>

<p>In all seriousness though, the quality of the sound is why we buy these things. The choice of speaker is paramount to do the Kemper justice. To truely enjoy the Kemper is to be in stereo.</p>

• Another option would be to invest in a stereo power amp. The only difference between the power rack and the unpowered version is only the built-in power amp, and you can totally add on a power amp if you want.

I run mine a little strangely, but I can get a stereo signal or a mono signal, depending on how the venue is configured.

I send, out of the 1/4" outs, two outs (left and right) to a Behringer MINIFBQ equalizer, then the two outs (again, left and right) to a Matrix GT1000FX. I only run the EQ for shaping the output slightly for the cab I'm using (Matrix NL212, which is stereo). The cab isn't FRFR, but is extended frequency, and it sounds incredibly close to a FRFR cab with some EQ settings (I keep the Cab on).

Out of the XLR main outs, I send left and right to the house. I keep the Main EQ on the Kemper flat, and let the soundman adjust for the venue if needed. I keep the Main volume at about -10dB, and unlock it from the volume knob to prevent accidental changes.

If I need to run mono out, I can change the Main Out to mono. The stereo FX I run in the loop (Strymon Timeline and Strymon BigSky) then merge quite gracefully down to mono. This also means that I get a mono signal in my cab, but it'll match the house, and I'd rather have it match what the house is doing vs. what I'd like it to ideally sound like.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack