profiling problem

• Don't know what I'm doing wrong. When I try to profile my amp the levels seems to be way to high. Been following every step in the manual. The ref amp sounds good but profile suck totally. Trying to profile hi gain and I can only turn gain up about 20% and still the result is so over gained. Yeah I know shit in shit out but it doesn't sound shit until the profile is ready to compare ;) so any ideas?

• There are so many variables to this question. Please answer the following:

1. What kind of amp/amp + pedal chain are you trying to mic up?
    2. What mic/mics are you using? Have you checked the mic cables and the mics to ensure they are working properly?
    3. How are you placing the mics? Close? Far? Combination?
    4. Have you adjusted the input level on step 1?
    5. Have you tried refining?
    6. Have you tried this mic setup in a DAW? Does it sound the same as running it through compare on the amp?
    7. You have no other effects on, correct? Gates, reverbs, everything should be off, with the only exception being overdrive pedals that don't have built-in gates or abnormal waveforms.
    8. Certain amps, particularly some preamps and other amps that were built in the 80's and 90's, have built-in gates and will make the resulting sound turn into mud.
    9. How loud are you turning up your amp? If you're feeding it low volumes, you're probably picking up a lot of room noise and reverberations/reflections as well.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• There are so many variables to this question. Please answer the following:

1. What kind of amp/amp + pedal chain are you trying to mic up?
    2. What mic/mics are you using? Have you checked the mic cables and the mics to ensure they are working…

I'm trying to profile an Engl 570 preamp with a marshall 9100 power amp, no pedal in front just hi gain engaged on amp, using a sm57 in a randall iso cab. Cables are ok. Yes the setup sounds fine in daw, even tried direct profile the preamp but still a shitty result.

• Have you tried adjusting the input gain on the Kemper itself, not just the amp's volume?

Have you tried different mic positions?

Are you direct profiling, without a cab sim?

I know this amp has a built-in gate that's active to some degree on some channels even if set at zero. Can you try a different channel and see if it does OK?

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky

• Problem solved I think ;)
    All fiddling in the settings I've probably managed to change the Di signal so it became hotter, changed it to analog and now it doesn't drive the amp to hot. So now the profiles sounds like the ref amp. Thanks for answers

• Awesome. Profiling can be a challenge, as it's intuitive to use, but not intuitive if you have an issue, and tracing the problem can be from a ton of different sources.