Headphone volume: recording Kemper>Focusrite 2i2>Reaper 5.0 on Mac

• Help! <X

I have been laying down some basic tracks Kemper > Focusrite Scarlet 2i2>Reaper. All documentation indicates I should be using the 'Direct Monitor' feature of the 2i2 and plugging my headphones directly into it so I can hear the recorded signal better. Unfortunately, everything coming from Reaper is louder and adjusting the headphone volume, even maxed, is not giving me enough volume to hear my guitar. Recorded, everything sounds great when played back - so I have been able to record but only when there isn't a backing track that Reaper is playing back to me. (i.e. when I was recording basic rhythm and Reaper was only playing drums).

What gives? I found this thread, but no answers, and apparently all the links in it are no good - threads too old and archived? I dunno. This seems like it should be simple. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!!!

Focusrite 6i6 Headphone vs Kemper Headphone output

• Well, I am running the same devices and I think first thing you should check is the first hint in the thread you refer to:

"You should disable Software Monitoring"

Given you done that, here is another idea: Have you turned on the direct monitoring for the s/pdif out? The Scarlett is one of the few in its pricerange allowing to do that for a digital source.
    Other than that I assume that your Reaper settings come into play.

Got some more infos on the the signal path maybe?

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Thanks for your reply.

The Scarlett 2i2 does not offer/utilize s/pdif but I do have direct monitoring turned on for the line in. I don't remember seeing anything for software monitoring in Reaper and in the audio settings, it basically had language and a checkbox dissuading you from using the computer headphones to monitor. I will poke around more tonight - it has to be something simple but darned if I can find it!

• Uppps sry, mixed it up, it is the 4i2 I have.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...