Recording for n00bs

• Alrite folks.... I'm hoping we're of a "there are no stupid questions" garden variety people here, as I have one that just may be crossing that line... :rolleyes:

I don't record much, if at all. My Kemper is for my enjoyment only. That said, I've come across a need to record a video, featuring the sound coming from the Kemper, with a backing track.

I have the Kemper connected to the Roland Quadcapture via spdif, which is then connected to the pc via usb cable. This enables me to play backingtracks on the pc and have them get mixed into the signal coming out of the Roland (where I have my headphones plugged in). I installed Win10 a few days back, which now again come with Windows Movie Maker software.
    So I fire up the MM, select my Logitech webcam as a video source and my QC as an audio source. I press record, play, press stop. Upon reviewing the resulting video (wmv, default setting in MM) I am now faced with the problem and the main reason for this thread, namely that the recorded sound is crap. Like, not even close to what I'm hearing in my headphones.
    Could it be that wmv sound compression is so severe that it messes up the sound so much that even I with my tin ears have no other choice but to call it crap? Add to that whatever YT does to uploaded vids and the sound is even worse. Shouldn't be, though, as I've seen plenty of YT Kemper DIY vids that just sound stellar.

Or, instead of trying to fix things that may or may not be fixable, is there a way of recording such a setup that will yield better results? I've read of folks recording video and audio separately and stitching them together but I'd rather avoid yet another piece of software and add another process to the mix because I won't be doing it often enough to warrant the hassle.

I've never recorded the Kemper, but I have recorded my 11R into Reaper for audio sharing purposes and don't recall the recording sounding significantly worse than what I was hearing from my headphones.

So there... I'm probably missing something as all of this really is straightforward.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• This is all recorded via spdiff on KPA (bass and guitar)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Did you checked output -> spdif settings to master stereo or guitar stack?

Next i would check the sound compression settings in MM to 44100 16 bit stereo.
    I would choose something like 320Kbps VBR.

• I haven't had the presence of mind to try recording audio only (nor have I installed Reaper yet since my Win10 installation) so I can't say for sure whether it's MM messing things up. I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

Thanks D.!

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.