Fractal AX8 ..... US $1,399 ..... thats just CRAZY !!! :) :) :)

• [quote='Brilliant move from Fractal, It won't surprise me if line 6, will announce a "Felix", smaller with one effect loop but dual amp and a price under $1000 very soon. If they were not ready for this move, that would mean they haven't done their homework. This is getting very interesting to watch.

I know for a fact neither can touch the KPA in amp and sound quality. I just bought my KPA about one month ago from musiciansfriend and I have 15 more days to consider returning it but, I'm definitely keeping the kemper. It's just fun watching this though. I have to admit that even thought I never cared for the AXE FX II when I tried it, Fractal just made a brilliant move with their pricing, even though I think there's a bigger market in the Under $1000 and line 6 and Fractal or any other company stand to make a lot of money under $1000 simply because it a larger market.

[/quote]

I myself am just debating between the Helix/AX8/THETA PRO DSP/ Kemper.

The only downside i heard about kemper is the power forusing with a cab but i don't see why is this a problem if you use a power amp? Doesn't kemper do what fractal does in this regard even though they are different in nature.

Keeping price in mind Helix is appealing because of it's features but sound wise AX8 or THETA PRO DSP win. Need to decide and need your help. I might be able to only try the Helix...

• I agree with Paults.
    And i'll say that anybody being the owner of a machine will suggest it.
    And anybody willing like to buy a certain machine, will be suggesting it.

Todays we have plenty of solutions for any pocket size. For example, i was looking to get an Atomic Amplifire in order to have a backup for my KPA, since i really didn't like the tones coming out of Bias Fx for iPad. then i discovered that i can load IR's with fiddlicator app, i have tried with a free RedWirez mpulse and it works way better than the stock cabs. I'll do more with Kemper Cab IR's.
    So now i have saved € 600 and I have bought a pair of Suhr PT Humbuckers for my Burny and 4 new power tubes for my Mark V, and I'm looking a power amp for my KPA, a Quik Lok BS-650 and 3 way plus live port CIEM from Livewirez41. :D :D :D

PS: Ops, i have just noticed that it's WAY more than € 600,00 ;(;(:D :D :D :D

• Keep the kemper and add a FX8 ;)

• Brilliant move from Fractal, It won't surprise me if line 6, will announce a "Felix", smaller with one effect loop but dual amp and a price under $1000 very soon. If they were not ready for this move, that would mean they haven't done their homework. This is getting very interesting to watch.

I know for a fact neither can touch the KPA in amp and sound quality. I just bought my KPA about one month ago from musiciansfriend and I have 15 more days to consider returning it but, I'm definitely keeping the kemper. It's just fun watching this though. I have to admit that even thought I never cared for the AXE FX II when I tried it, Fractal just made a brilliant move with their pricing, even though I think there's a bigger market in the Under $1000 and line 6 and Fractal or any other company stand to make a lot of money under $1000 simply because it a larger market.

I myself am just debating between the Helix/AX8/THETA PRO DSP/ Kemper.The only downside i heard about kemper is the power forusing with a cab but i don't see why is this a problem if you use a power amp? Doesn't kemper do what fractal does in this regard even though they are different in nature.Keeping price in mind Helix is appealing because of it's features but sound wise AX8 or THETA PRO DSP win. Need to decide and need your help. I might be able to only try the Helix...

It was very easy for me to decide because I was looking for the best most authentic Guitar Amp sound. I wasn't looking for an all in one do it all. If that's what you're looking for then you might want to consider Helix or AX8, but if you're looking for demonstrated best most authentic Amp tones, you really owe to yourself to get the Kemper. Let's not talk about money or additional features even though Kemper is ballpark in the same range in regard to how much you will spend.

Kemper has many outstanding effects also, but let's be honest, most who came here and bought the Kemper is because of the quality of the amp sounds that are second to none as demonstrated clearly for everyone to see. Kemper matches/profiles/models the recorded tone of the amp and the profile becomes indistinguishable from the original not better or worse.

There are many free outstanding profiles but also just discovered these commercial profiles that are currently very reasonably priced and bough most of them. When I played and tried the AXE II before deciding on the Kemper, nothing the AXE II provided was even close to even many of the free profiles, but with some commercial profiles it's quick and easy to realize that the gap in amp quality makes the Kemper way ahead of anything out there. Don't just take my word for it just check out these Kemper Profiles that I happen to have just bought. If you can find anything from any other company Fractal, Line 6 etc, please point me to it so I can also buy it, but so far I haven't heard or felt anything that comes anywhere near. Again keep in mind , my number one priority is amp tone, for features, I will make anything work if I have the right sound. (currently My pod HD 500 works as a good controller for the Kemper, with Wah and effects on/off change presets etc). If you think these Kemper Profiles sound good, wait until you play them to experience how well and natural they feel, completely above and beyond AXE II or any other modeler I tried: Don't take this to mean that the you would be compromising effects quality, because you won't.

Kemper is a very well thought out tone machine that is a true breakthrough. I know because I profiled my own amps and couldn't tell the difference so I know, it works and that those profiles we get here every week when someone profiles their amps are very authentic. Sure they vary in quality, but you will find your sound in no time. If that means saving some time by spending a few dollars to get commercial profiles, then it's an added bonus.

Also remember that sound or profile that you like, never changes with firmware updates, if you go with Fractal or line 6, your sound might be lost and to get it you might have to load older firmware. I said goodbye to the bad old days of worrying about that with every firmware update.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [media
    [/media]

Edited 5 times, last by Dean_R ().

• [quote='Ingolf','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/24896-Fractal-AX8-US-1-399-thats-just-CRAZY/?postID=266192#post266192']Quote from Tube18: “Quote from johnatanasoff: “[quote='Brilliant move from Fractal, It won't surprise me if line 6, will announce a "Felix", smaller with one effect loop but dual amp and a price under $1000 very soon. If they were not ready for this…[/quote]

Lol. Agreed! :D

Dean_R wrote:Brilliant move from Fractal, It won't surprise me if line 6, will announce a "Felix", smaller with one effect loop but dual amp and a price under $1000 very soon. If they were not ready for this move, that would mean they haven't done their homework. This is getting very interesting to watch.

johnatanasoff wrote:I myself am just debating between the Helix/AX8/THETA PRO DSP/ Kemper.The only downside i heard about kemper is the power forusing with a cab but i don't see why is this a problem if you use a power amp? Doesn't kemper do what fractal does in this regard even though they are different in nature.Keeping price in mind Helix is appealing because of it's features but sound wise AX8 or THETA PRO DSP win. Need to decide and need your help. I might be able to only try the Helix...

Dean_R wrote: It was very easy for me to decide because I was looking for the best most authentic Guitar Amp sound. I wasn't looking for an all in one do it all. If that's what you're looking for then you might want to consider Helix or AX8, but if you're looking for demonstrated best most authentic Amp tones, you really owe to yourself to get the Kemper. Let's not talk about money or additional features even though Kemper is ballpark in the same range in regard to how much you will spend.Kemper has many outstanding effects also, but let's be honest, most who came here and bought the Kemper is because of the quality of the amp sounds that are second to none as demonstrated clearly for everyone to see. Kemper matches/profiles/models the recorded tone of the amp and the profile becomes indistinguishable from the original not better or worse.There are many free outstanding profiles but also just discovered these commercial profiles that are currently very reasonably priced and bough most of them. When I played and tried the AXE II before deciding on the Kemper, nothing the AXE II provided was even close to even many of the free profiles, but with some commercial profiles it's quick and easy to realize that the gap in amp quality makes the Kemper way ahead of anything out there. Don't just take my word for it just check out these Kemper Profiles that I happen to have just bought. If you can find anything from any other company Fractal, Line 6 etc, please point me to it so I can also buy it, but so far I haven't heard or felt anything that comes anywhere near. Again keep in mind , my number one priority is amp tone, for features, I will make anything work if I have the right sound. (currently My pod HD 500 works as a good controller for the Kemper, with Wah and effects on/off change presets etc). If you think these Kemper Profiles sound good, wait until you play them to experience how well and natural they feel, completely above and beyond AXE II or any other modeler I tried: Don't take this to mean that the you would be compromising effects quality, because you won't.Kemper is a very well thought out tone machine that is a true breakthrough. I know because I profiled my own amps and couldn't tell the difference so I know, it works and that those profiles we get here every week when someone profiles their amps are very authentic. Sure they vary in quality, but you will find your sound in no time. If that means saving some time by spending a few dollars to get commercial profiles, then it's an added bonus.Also remember that sound or profile that you like, never changes with firmware updates, if you go with Fractal or line 6, your sound might be lost and to get it you might have to load older firmware. I said goodbye to the bad old days of worrying about that with every firmware update.

Thanks for your answer. It's definitely helping me go in the right direction for me.
    I loved the profiles. Killer tones!

Just like you did before; (i am also looking for the best most authentic Guitar Amp sound), 1st and foremost.
    I might not need to look further than the Kemper. Bang for the buck wise i thought the units i mentioned were much cheaper but there isn't a huge difference to the kemper without the built in poweramp. Saying that i wouldn't want to pay much more than the other units. Money matters and i do need (an all in one do it all) solution. But doesn't the Kemper do it all as the Helix or AX8?

I just need some things clarified if possible.

- I was advised against the kemper because of the difficulty in cloning rigs keeping in mind your guitar is different etc etc. I might not even have access to rigs at all. I am in Portugal...
    How has your experience been with other people profiles with different guitars etc?

- Also advised against the kemper because of not enough power from the unit for a cabinet. But by using a power amp and a real cab, what's the problem? This is important for me for clubs without a decent PA. With an FRFR cab that's a different story as they tend "not" to be, powerful enough.

The only thing the Helix or AX8 win, is in portability as they are a "2 in 1" concept, but that does not matter to me. The most important to me is a great guitar tone!

Also i need to make the right choice from the beginning. Selling stuff like this here, in case i regret my choice, might be hard.

• Keep the Kemper and add: nothing.

Add the Kemper and keep nothing :D :D :D

- I was advised against the kemper because of the difficulty in cloning rigs keeping in mind your guitar is different etc etc. I might not even have access to rigs at all. I am in Portugal...
    How has your experience been with other people profiles with different guitars etc?

Never mind, many of us have never made a single profile ;D

The choice is so rich that it's impossible to not find usable tones,not to mention that tweaking can be quite powerful on the Profiler :)

- Also advised against the kemper because of not enough power from the unit for a cabinet. But by using a power amp and a real cab, what's the problem? This is important for me for clubs without a decent PA. With an FRFR cab that's a different story as they tend "not" to be, powerful enough.

Well, the passive version of course needs a power amp,or an active cab.
    As for the active version, I find 600 W / 8 ohm to be more than enough, and would in case be worried of the opposite (how to tame such a monster when you use a cab way lower in wattage) :D

HTH

• Like you at first I thought the same, how can a profile made when someone was setting the amp using single coils pickups or Humbucker for someone late to player that profile with different pickups?

In most of the profiles I played, the profiles sounded great with either pickup and in the few cased where it didn't, there are few parameters to edit in the AMP block, Definition, Clarity, Power Sag, and two or three more where within minutes, they can make a huge difference in turning almost any profile, from my experience, into a very good useable profile and turning an already great profile, into a stunning profiles as those Guido's profiles I linked in my previous post. I'm not sure how many menus or sub-menus you would need to edit in the AXE FX.

Just like you did before; (i am also looking for the best most authentic Guitar Amp sound), 1st and foremost.

Also i need to make the right choice from the beginning. Selling stuff like this here, in case i regret my choice, might be hard.

If best possible tone is what you're after, you simply can't go wrong with The Kemper. Don't forget that Kemper Has excellent customer support and also the community here has many experienced members who will answer and help you with anything that you need. Also Kemper is constantly getting improvements with firmware updates even though as it stands today it will provide you with the best amp tones that by far feel and respond to your fingers better than any other modeler.

viabcroce wrote:

Add the Kemper and keep nothing

:D

viabcroce wrote:

Well, the passive version of course needs a power amp,or an active cab.As for the active version, I find 600 W / 8 ohm to be more than enough, and would in case be worried of the opposite (how to tame such a monster when you use a cab way lower in wattage) HTH

I got to call kemper to get this cleared. As long as i get the same power as a 100W real tube head onto a 2x12 real cab; i need nothing more!

Dean_R wrote:

Like you at first I thought the same, how can a profile made when someone was setting the amp using single coils pickups or Humbucker for someone late to player that profile with different pickups?

In most of the profiles I played, the profiles sounded great with either pickup and in the few cased where it didn't, there are few parameters to edit in the AMP block, Definition, Clarity, Power Sag, and two or three more where within minutes, they can make a huge difference in turning almost any profile, from my experience, into a very good useable profile and turning an already great profile, into a stunning profiles as those Guido's profiles I linked in my previous post. I'm not sure how many menus or sub-menus you would need to edit in the AXE FX.

Agreed! I favor simplicity and ease of use as well!
    I know youtube is not enough to judge, but kemper just sounds the "most real" (of clean and distortion sounds) of what i have heard so far. The Theta Pro DSP has amazing effects quality though.

But a great reverb and delay is the base of what i need and the kemper should deliver that.

Dean_R wrote:

If best possible tone is what you're after, you simply can't go wrong with The Kemper. Don't forget that Kemper Has excellent customer support and also the community here has many experienced members who will answer and help you with anything that you need. Also Kemper is constantly getting improvements with firmware updates even though as it stands today it will provide you with the best amp tones that by far feel and respond to your fingers better than any other modeler.

Yeah, i'm calling kemper tomorrow.

Last question, are you using real cabs? I think i prefer this route VS FRFR, just to keep it even simpler. You know, get some great profiles, plug in and play! Not loose a lot of time with different speaker choices etc etc...

Maybe two 1x12 real cab's with built in power amps.
    Pity Kemper does not have dual amping...

• A guitar cab will certainly be simple to approach and use, but you will lost faithfulness to the original profile, since the cab determines 60-70% of the sound of a rig. See for example here :)

OTOH, if what you're after is a few good sounds through the same cab, and are not pushed back by a guitar cab's limitations (directivity, incoherent dispersion etc.), that's the way to go :)

• A guitar cab will certainly be simple to approach and use, but you will lost faithfulness to the original profile, since the cab determines 60-70% of the sound of a rig. See for example here :)

OTOH, if what you're after is a few good sounds through the same cab, and are not pushed back from a guitar cab's limitations (directivity, incoherent dispersion etc.), that's the way to go :)

What are you using exactly?

• I use Kemper through studio monitors and it's as good as it gets.

I will not elaborate on the effects except to say that for me personally i"m not missing any effect. Initially and at the surface you might think that it can use more effects,but once you start using the effects, you will notice that the quality and simplicity is also part of a brilliant design.

Kemper effects are very underrated from my experience.There are many unique effects such as pitch effects with pure tuning including Transpose effect that let's you tune down without any artifacts and virtually no latency and play chords! Helix or Axe FX pitch effects are definitely not as good. Using Kemper Transpose you can play drop tuning and play chords with no noticeable latency! That's just one example but there are many highlights once you start using the Kemper effects.

Even thought there's no dual amps, I highly doubt the you would miss it. Working with dual amps is very problematic in regards to phase issue and generally is not how the majority of guitarists work. Kemper will let you send different signal of the different point of the signal chain to different physical outputs so you can send a dry amp and a wet amp to different means of amplification/ Either case AX8 doesn't have dual amps, Helix has up to four amps, AXE II has dual amps, but neither of them sound as authentic real world amplifiers as the Kemper.

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• Transpose effect that let's you tune down without any artifacts and virtually no latency and play chords!

Mhhh... I wish it was true... wonder how you can't hear the latency!
    I guess there's nothing that can be done to prevent this, which is related to the guitar's mechanics and string "velocity".

• I guess I must be used to guitar synths and I'm honestly not noticing the latency when I use the transpose . If I were to guess, I'd say it must around 5-6ms which translates to or is similar to being 5-6 meters away from your amp.