Profiling issue! Help please!

• Hey guys! i just got my Kemper a few weeks ago and i am attempting to profile my ENGL Savage. i am having a problem. I have connected my guitar into the kemper, direct out on kemper to amp, mic into the Kempers return and the main out to my interface into logic x. I am getting to sound when i select reference amp in my headphones. my amp is obviously playing but i am not getting anything in the headphones. i have the return input cranked and still got nothing but white noise. I am getting an ERROR message when trying to profile anyway and it says, volume to low or no amp connected. Help please and thanks!!

• My microphone cable seemed to be acting up. Got it working, thanks! After doing a couple of profiles with different mic positions I am noticing that the profile is coming in with a lot more mids and getting sort of wonky. Could this be the sm57 or maybe I need to tweak better. I'm getting the tone I want thru the monitors but once I profile and refine it I feel that it is wonky. Any one else run into this issue?

• The SM57 has a prominent midrange response - that is part of what makes it a good mic to use, because the guitar cuts well in a mix.

But, you can radically change the sound you are getting by moving the microphone (mic placement is an art in itself). So, if you are getting too many mids, move the mic until you get what you want. If you are close-micing, small movements will mke a big difference.

If you are hearing some of the amplifier's sound before and while profilng, the profile will sound different, because you are no longer hearing the amp in the distance. Are you isolated from the amp?

You can try a profile with no refining at all. Does it also sound odd to you?

• I think it's the sm57. The profile is so close to perfect and then there's that midrange that's the difference. I am in the same room as the amp, so yes I am hearing the amp behind my headphones. I almost have the "sound I hear in the room" on the profile, plus more mids. Going to try slightly different mic positions/we tweaks to try and tame that midrange. Thanks for the input/advice!