Muddiness question

• This isn't a huge deal but I've found in the past with different guitar hardware simulators that if you overdrive a nice clean sound you get either/and a muddiness and a fizz.
    This is also apparent in the Kemper but is fairly easy to fix unlike say, the Pod HD which could take me an hour to get the sound right.
    It's a different problem than with a real amp somehow.
    After playing electric guitar for 45 years I thought I may as well find out what others do to address this issue (if indeed it is an issue for other people) :)

Mike

• Hi Paul,
    I don't want to turn the gain up if I've got it at the right amount of drive, and anyway it could well add to the fizz issue.
    I'd rather not use pedals as well as the KPA.
    The onboard effects certainly help a great deal.
    How do you deal with it yourself specifically?
    Thanks

• I was wondering which way you overdrive the clean sound to have this issue.

I don't add gain to rigs. I take the opposite approach. I use profiles that have the amount of gain I want for lead sounds with the guitar volume all the way up, and turn the guitar volume knob down for less drive.

The KPA excels at these kinds of sounds for me. I mainly use Marshall sounds live, but my main live clean sound is a Matchless that can go from sparkling clean to dark throaty blues, and I posted a rig of my vintage Deluxe Reverb, turned up almost all the way, that can do the same thing.

• Interesting, as you say, the opposite to what I usually do, I'll grab a couple of those profiles and try them in the way that you suggest.
    I'm essentially a recording player using mainly clean to overdriven and that's the way I normally approach refining the sounds.
    I'll give it a try, it makes sense given the way different settings of the amps are profiled.
    It's never too late for an old dog,
    woof!
    Mike

• There are two of them ( the names got truncated, so they look the same). They were made with the amp turned up almost all the way, to be controlled from the guitar.

Fender Dyn DR paults
    (Dyn Clean to Dist 1 and 2)

if there is too much gain with your guitar wide open, try reducing the gain.

whether these particular rigs work well with your guitars or not, the same principle applies with other rigs. If the rig is set for the solo sound, turning the guitar down can give you a wide variety of other sounds from the same rig.

• Hi, I agree with Paults, it's easier to get good cleans from crunches and driven rigs.

Most clean profiles are not specifically profiled to get great driven tones. However , In lots of cases you get a good gain range up to a certain point where the distortion gets fizzy, you should not try to tweak too much at this point, it's much better to get another profile of the same amp but on a more driven (sweet spot) setting.

• Paul, that deluxe is excellent..
    It's still a bit hot for me even with the volume pot turned down to 3 (LP Humbuckers) but I've saved it as is cos it's nice anyway
    and turned the gain down and saved that separately and for me that's very, very nice.
    Thanks!

• Thanks for the compliment :)

Your observations are right on target - if I would have set it for my Les Paul, I would not have turned it up so much (and, I likely would have turned the lows down a bit). With a Strat, there is less gain at those settings.

But, it illustrates the concept. With a responsive amp (or, a profile of one), this is a great way to get all those "in between clean and dirty" sounds. You can even push the sound one way or the other on individual notes with pick dynamics.