Speaker/Cab for Bass

• I am primarily a guitarist but I anticipate having some gig this year where I will be subbing with bands on the bass. I'd like to take my Kemper for these gigs instead of carrying around all my bass gear.

What would you recommend for a speaker/cab that I can use at home to practice through and maybe take out to gigs for my backline. For live use, I will probably also be going straight to the PA.

• I mentioned in another thread how much I am loving my Greenboy designed fEarless cabinet for bass. I also love it for guitar too. It's a 3-way FRFR 1x12 that I built for about $650. It handles 533W without sweating.

fEarless is the DIY solution, but there is also a commercial line called fEarful:

[Blocked Image: http://greenboy.us/FEARLESSComp.png]

The commercial stuff starts at around $1000, but it might also replace whatever you are using for guitar too. My 1x12 keeps up with a very loud band on both bass and guitar. SUPER deep for bass.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Here's an update on my experience with the fEarless cabinet: Fantastic for bass and great for clean guitar. After living with it a while longer, I'd say it's good for distorted guitar, but there might be better solutions out there. When the volume of distorted guitar is cranked, it tends to get a little harsh with the three way configuration I used. At lower volumes, it still sounds great on all sources.

• Thanks for the suggestion on the fEarless cab. However, I am not looking to spend that much money since I won't be using it primarily for bass. I am looking for something to use maybe for 3-5 gigs a year.

• Regarding my fEarless build, I might have made a mistake in my crossover. I'm in contact with one of the designers who is still helping me sort it out, so I am retracting my retraction for now. :)

Hey Geese, how much are you looking to spend? Shoot me a PM, I might have an idea for you.

Old Crow, I'd probably stay away from most PA cabs for bass. They generally use mid-bass drivers to go "lowish" and rely on subs for getting down to true bass frequencies. Yamaha quotes 52Hz, but that is at -10dB. I just purchased a 12" Barefaced full range cab to replace my fEarless and it bottoms our at 30Hz, and that's at -3dB or -6dB down IIRC. These new high excursion bass drivers are making 12" speakers do what 15" or even 18" speakers used to be required to do. Depth is a function of both speaker area and excursion. Increase excursion and you can decrease the area to get equal low-end performance. They are very expensive though, and usually are only used in high-end bass cabs or subs. It's for this reason that I was looking for a high-end bass cab that was also full-range, rather than looking for a PA cab. I want a bass cab that works for guitar too, not a guitar/PA cab that sort-of works for bass.

A PA speaker will work of course and probably sound great, but just don't expect deep lows.