Headphone Amp Connection Question

• Thanks for the reply. I purchased a pair of Blue Mofi headphones that have a built in headphone amp, and plugged into the headphone out on the Kemper. I compared the Mofi's passive mode vs amped mode, and the sound was night and day better with the amp on, which surprised me, as I expected the sound to be louder, not better. It brought the sound from being ok to being incredible. I also have a pair of Shure 440 headphones I am borrowing as well, which also didn't sound nearly as good as using the headphone amp on the Blue Mofi....it was the same story, the sound of the Shure's was good through the headphone out, but not mind blowing like with the Blue Mofi's amp on.

So my question came from a few different reasons:

a) I wasn't sure if doubling the amplification on the headphones was a bad idea or not (using the Kemper headphone out's power plus the power amp from the headphones). It sounds incredible though, but I'm not sure if the sound is being coloured in some way by the double amplification.
    b) I wasn't sure if it was safe to use an amped headphone through the Kemper's main outs (didn't want to damage anything, but based on Ingolf's reply, I should be ok).
    c) Despite how good the Blue Mofi sound, I am considering returning them, as I find them heavy and uncomfortable. Since it appears that a properly amped headphone sounds much better than plugging directly in the headphone out, I might buy some other headphones plus a headphone amp.

Thanks again! Any advice would be great!

• Actually, from an electric POV the connection through the Main out makes most sense, and your observation about doubling the amp section is correct.
    Having said that, the comparison should be made at an equal volume. Even a pair of dB more will most likely make it "sound better", but it's because of the way we perceive sounds (you hear more basses and highs).

HTH

• Great advice. I did some further testing, and you were right with respect to the db. What I had to do was increase the headphone out db, and decrease the rig volume so the listening volume wasn't too high. Doing that yielded similar results to using the headphone amp on the Blue Mofi. Thanks, and glad to hear an external headphone amp is not necessary. Managing the output db in relation to the rig volume seems critical.

With that said, is there a way to globally decrease the rig volume when using headphones so I don't have to manually decrease the rig volume each time I switch a rig (so the listening volume isn't too high)?

• We have a dedicated HPs volume in the Output section. You can also unlink it, so that it's not affected by turning the Master volume knob should it be useful for your use.
    :)