Best placement for an ISP Decimator?

• I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I've tried to use the forum's search function but it brings up a slew of results that weren't helpful. I've apparently got to get better at searching.

Can someone recommend the best way to hook up an ISP G-String Decimator pedal to the Kemper? I've noticed that on a lot of the higher gain amps, there is some extra noise that the Kemper's noise gate knob doesn't quite take care of.

Also, right now, I'm hooked up to the Yamaha DXR 10 and even with the volume of my guitar rolled all the way down, I can still hear some "whooshing" type sounds in the back. It's not loud by any means. But I'd like to kill that if possible so that when I'm not playing, the rig is 100% silent. I'm assuming this same whooshing sound would come through the PA if I'm running direct to FOH, so I'd like to make it as silent as possible. Any tips on the best way to connect the decimator, and other noise canceling features would be appreciated.

Right now, I don't have anything external hooked up to the Kemper. But I do anticipate adding my own wah, and maybe something in the effects loop (possibly my MXR Phase 90 if I can't find an accurate one in the Kemper).

• I'm guessing that pedal is a noise gate?

There is the "main" noise gate on the Kemper, and there are also two types of noise gate "stomps" you can add in the signal chain.

I'm wondering, though, if the DXR adds some noise of it's own? Have you tried turning the kemper off and see if it's still noisy? What about unplugging the guitar cable from the kemper (not at the guitar) - just to troubleshoot?

I haven't experienced any noise problems that have bothered me enough to remember. - I play mostly on headphones though.

• Great idea. I didn't think of that. I'll try turning the Kemper off later tonight when I have a chance and see if it's just the Yamaha. If it's just the Yamaha, then that's great because like I said, the noise isn't anything that is really disruptive at all. And if it's just coming through my Yamaha, and not being sent to the mains, then it's definitely not an issue.

Yes, the ISP is a noise gate. It works excellent (IMO).

• Don't forget to try and use the kempers two stomp noise gates for high gain sounds and set them up to your sound.
    The noise gate on the front works a bit different, but can also be used in combination with the others.
    IMO they are excellent and you should be able to get it completely noise free without lack of tone, even on extreme gain amps.
    I've seen several users selling their ISP noise gate pedals after getting the kemper, so if you try it you could save some money.