Valve Theory profiling - 'manifesto' thread about my specific approach

• Hi, in order to clarify the way I work my profiles & rigs, I've written a short text to explain my approach.

Fell free to discuss here or in the other third party section.

Valve theory Manifesto

My aim is to produce rigs and profiles that really match the feeling you get while plugin classic guitars into a quality tube amp. the tone that happens when dialling the right settings to match your guitars and it's pickups is a pretty unique alchemy, this is the tone quest I had in head while I profiled my gear and designed my tones.

My approach is tone based and not gear based, I prefer profiling with preamps in order to remove the miking out my practises. Instead, I use direct profiling & my favorite personal cabs, that I know very well and have a very wide range of ground covered. Some merging occurs on lots of profiles, since it turned out much more musical than the simple CAB matching. (I know it's not the original merging purpose, but I only care about the tone and not the purpose itself !). Note that sometimes, differents rigs are based on the same direct profile, since it was the best away to achieve the tone I had in my head.

You'll just have to pick up your strat,tele , Lespaul or 335, dial the RIGHT profiles matched for them, and play ! Most of my profiles are pickup matched & were made to suit a particular context , clean, crunch , drive, lead ... They are still tweakable in all extents to go even further if needed. They also overlap each other to get everything covered with smooth transitions. Some profiles also have such a good gain range that they are somewhat sufficient by themselves as a single profile for the guitarist that only uses the guitar vol pot to change his tone.

I arranged most of the profiles to pickup types, in order to get the best tone for a given pickup mounting. That does not mean that it won't sound good on another type of pickups, but it's maybe not the best tone you'll get out of my packs. The comments in the tags refer to the alternative pickups that can be used on a given profile. There is an ovelap in terms of pickups since P90 will behave right on both SC and HB profiles, and also on hollowbody pack. Hollow pack rigs will also behave right on both SC & HB pickups. SC and HB packs are the most pickup dependant packs I've done, and are best used with the respective pickups.

Regarding the amp tones, I mainly aim to classic rock styles 60's 70's 80's & 90's era , but also blues, jazz, pop and all electric styles. They gravitate in the Fender, Marshall & Boogie territory mainly, as they are the basis for all other amps made after.

I hope you'll enjoy my approach, it's specific, but I'm sure not being the only one with this logic in mind. Strat & Les Paul , a cool P90 Hollow and my rig collection , it's more than enough to write & record dozens of tracks at the speed of light.

• some news :

• JessieM (JCM800 preamp) : still in ' work in progress' state but lots of preview clips available here
    • I still have to profile the mesa boogie quad preamp in all extents, but I won't produce much more after these sessions since I'll have all the tones I will ever need eventually. Doing more may be counter productive since there would be lots of overlapping and redundancy.
    • I'd maybe like to do the bogner Fish, but they are really hard to find and pretty expensive, if a user here owns one and is OK for a rent/lent, let me know.