Recording your KPA

• I've got a question about recording. Do any of you prefer turning off the cab sim and miking your cab, or just recording the entire rig profile directly into your interface? Any difference in audio/tonal qualities that you've noticed?

Thanks!

• I'm sure you're right. Guess I'm still getting use to the thought of moving on from miking my cab. Hell, I'm still trying to wrap my head around possibly not needing my cab...

• but... but... I love my cab... :(

gonna be really interesting to see how this plays out for me and what gear I end up keeping/getting rid of. I mean, do I really want to let my cab go for monitors?... <X

• but... but... I love my cab... :(

gonna be really interesting to see how this plays out for me and what gear I end up keeping/getting rid of. I mean, do I really want to let my cab go for monitors?... <X

I suggest keeping your cab and also getting a good full range monitor.
    This gives you the best of both worlds Imo.
    You get the enormous versatility of all different miced up amp + cab profiles (like we always hear guitars on music albums) sounding just like they were captured playing through the monitor, and you get the raw amp guitar cab speaker in the room sound with your cab. Both options are great for different situations, I like this. If you have amps to profile you can create direct amp profiles without mic, or full studio profile with mic. Disabling/bypassing cabs in studio profiles can also sound great of course.

A direct amp profile can sound identical to the amp so if you like micing your cab then do it.
    Imo it is much more convenient to make profiles of your miced cab.

I suggest keeping your cab and also getting a good full range monitor.
    This gives you the best of both worlds Imo.
    You get the enormous versatility of all different miced up amp + cab profiles (like we always hear guitars on music albums) sounding just like they were captured playing through the monitor, and you get the raw amp guitar cab speaker in the room sound with your cab. Both options are great for different situations, I like this. If you have amps to profile you can create direct amp profiles without mic, or full studio profile with mic. Disabling/bypassing cabs in studio profiles can also sound great of course.

A direct amp profile can sound identical to the amp so if you like micing your cab then do it.
    Imo it is much more convenient to make profiles of your miced cab.

So the KPA at 16ohm 300 ss watts is plenty enough to to push a 120W cab?

• Yes that should be no problem.
    Here is a link to a post I made in a previous thread about ss vs tube watt.
    PowerKemper vs NonPower

copy paste:

As mentioned earlier, a 100w is 100w both from tube or ss amp when measured, RMS. compared with exact same setup.
    Yes a tube amp can be pushed above the rating, but that can only add a very small extra dB gain.
    If you double the watt in an amp you only get about 3dB louder.
    So a 200w amp is only 3 dB louder than a 100w amp. A 100w tube amp won't add that much dB over the rating.
    If you want double the percieved volume then we need about 10xW, meaning going from a 100w to a 1000w.
    It's much easier to get louder by using a very loud sensitive speaker.
    sensitivity, sometimes called SPL (Sound Pressure Level).
    A 40 w amp with a very loud 100dB sensitive speaker will sound louder than a 100w amp with say a 92dB sensitive speaker.
    A 512 w amp coupled with an 86 dB speaker will be just as loud an an 8 watt amplifier with a 104 dB speaker.
    Here is a chart good for interpreting SPL ratings.
    http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/spl.html

Here is a link with some good food for thought info, Amp Power Myths, tube vs solid state:
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/myths.php

Here is an informative video on the subject, by Scott Grove.
    Something that he brings up in the video which is often where a myth comes from is that cheap ss amps often have crappy speakers
    with low dB sensitivity making them sound much lower in volume than a nice tube amp with good speakers with higher dB sensitivity.

Mythbusting, Are Tube Amps Louder Than Solid State?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

[YOUTUBE]
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

• I mean, do I really want to let my cab go for monitors?

I think one of the advantages of using the Profiler is that you can use cranked-up sounds at a living-room or even zero volume. If you have no issue with being noisy, certainly mic'ing your cab can work!

Another consideration I'd make is that a cab imparts a huge percentage of the overall tone to any rig, be it profiled or physically played. Using always the same cab (again, being it profiled or "real") will prevent you from using your profiles at their maximum potential. By keeping the original cab profile you might also be able to have access to professionally mic'ed cabs, and very expensive studio mics and preamps.
    OTOH, if the only sounds you need and like are those you hear from your cab (regardless the amp profile you use) and you like how your mic'ing technique changes them, you won't need anything else :D
    At this stage, you might just want to profile your cab with your favourite mic'ing in order to always have it at your disposal w\o having to set everything up at every recording session :)

So the KPA at 16ohm 300 ss watts is plenty enough to to push a 120W cab?

Generally speaking, a few (1-5) watts are enough to make any cab work. As long as a cab works in its linear window, the sonic differences we hear are mostly related to the amp working at different regimes and to our hearing abilities, which make us perceive a sound differently depending on its volume. And when the cab works outside its linearity window... it sounds bad :D

The parameter related to how loud a cab sounds with a given input is its sensitivity. This is more important than the amp's wattage. Sensitivity is measured in dB (it should actually be dB / 1 W / 1 m), and might go from about 90 to about 98 for a single cone (add 3 dB for a 2x cab). You will certainly find your cab's sensitivity in its technical sheet.
    When I use my cab (102 dB) with my Ambrosi power amp (68 W) I can't go over 1/3 with the Profiler's Master volume at home :)

HTH

• I bought my KPA specifically for direct recording, as I'm often working on stuff really early in the morning (like 3:00AM), and cranking up the tube amps simply isn't an option. I also love the consistency and efficiency of not having to deal with setting up a mic and finding the sweet spot, it's already all baked into the profiles. I used to spend quite a bit of time getting my amps mic'd up just right, and now it's just a matter of setting the levels and getting on with it. Love it.

• I've tried pairing the Kemper preamp with third party IR's (cabinet simulations) with mixed success. The supposed advantage would be the flexibility of trying different speaker/microphone/placement combinations during mix down. I have the Redwirez collection and some Ownhammer IR's.

However I find I have more success picking the right profiles the first time and finding tones that compliment each other, rather than fight each other for the same frequency space.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast