Converting a mix-ready profile into a live-ready profile

• Yeah, i understood that you meant lowering. Well, i will check PC more if it actually does what you described.I just don't like the idea...i mean PC as i said is created for those who have frfr and want a feeling of a guitar cab sound. For playing at home i find it ok, but why to mic a cab and use PC to actually "unmic" it for live use? :P Doesn't make sense to me...anyway...

Mike, where did you mention guitar cabs?
    I based my answers on "i use my Alto TS112 frfr"!

:)

i use my Alto TS112 frfr.

• Using PC is not like "removing the mic from
    the cab"... However it does remove some of the harshness associated with close micing a speaker cabinet. I am personally not a fan of it, I get better results using the hi low pass in the graphic EQ: but I don't even use that really either. Using the pure cab too much causes too much a generic sound across the board in my opinion.

• And yes, Matt and Corey boost several frequencies in the 3-6k range, while scooping out some 240 hs with the studio EQ at varying levels as they use different pickups ( blackouts and EMG's as I'm sure you are aware)

This seems logical to me. Generel rules like "use less bass and treble for live" simply miss the most important aspect: The tonal context that you place the guitars in. Take a perfectly balanced PA System and play a profesionally produced CD through it at gig volume. It will most likely still sound much better and more balanced than the live performance itself. Why is this the case? Because all other instruments simply lack the amount of processing that they had on the studio recording. Especially the drum sound is far off the album sound and so mid heavy that this simply requires the guitars to boost the mid frequencies to cut through the mix. The logical conclusion is that the closer you get your band mix to the studio sound, the less tonal change is required for the guitars in order to produce a perfect live mix.

The more professional that the bands setup their live performance, the closer they can get to a studio like live mix. Using experienced FOH engineers, digital consoles and processing as well as In Ear Monitoring in combination with tools like the Kemper get bands like Trivium a great and balanced live sound.

In my recent band project i had the same situation like many KPA users. Profiles that sounded great in a studio mix simply do not work in a rehearsal situation because of the natural drum sound. Then we replaced the acoustic drums with an edrum using my own custom drum samples that i also use on studio productions. This improved the whole band sound so much that i can now use my studio profiles without any modifications in a rehearsal or live environment.

• ^ solid points: so much good stuff in this post and dead on. The reality is many people just don't get how much it takes to get that sound we hear live at that level: it's complicated, and no one solution is the answer. And friends of mine or not, trivium lately has one of the most solid, clear, and sonically pleasing live sounds I've ever experienced. It was so "clean" and clear it was insane: and them using their profiled studio tone live was not the reason: but the sum of errything they do and the way they do it live, IS
    the reason... Their FOH, their engineer, the lack of amps on stage, their studio tones being used live ( bass drums and guitars ), and how about their super tight playing: you add ALL That up, and good things are going to happen .

• Interesting thread. The best advice i can contribute with is: Get yourself some time with an ok PA-system and do your tweaks at gig level with everything on the mixing console set flat. Maybe next time you have a show....talk to the tech and see if you can get in a little earlier, and use their coffee break to do your stuff!

After tweaking a few profiles or eq, or whatever you want to do you'll get a feel for what it is you're looking for. What you save will be ok for that room/gear but it will set you off in the right direction! Changes become smaller and smaller over time, and you'll get there.

Also don't forget that small changes to the gain knob makes a huge difference. Myself i play at about 60% of the gain i use for recording the same songs. Sometimes i tweak it on the Kemper, and sometimes i just choose a lower gain profile. For me, clarity and definition comes with lower gain on loud volume levels!

Good luck and happpy tweaking!

• Also, keep in mind that the the Alto is a decent speaker, (I own one) but it's a long ways away from "top-of-the-line." You can get a lot of improvement in your sound by playing the same stuff through better speakers.