Direct profiling question

• If I directly profile an amp, will The KPA only have the amps tones from the EQ settings that I profiled, or will I have full access to the original amps tonal possibilities with the EQ knobs from the KPA? I know that I will be able to alter the tone from the KPA's EQ knobs, but will it be the same as the original amp, or do you need to profile several different EQ settings to get closer to the full range of the original amps capabilities?

I hope this question is clear, thanks in advance for any help.

• or do you need to profile several different EQ settings to get closer to the full range of the original amps capabilities?

Yes. The EQ points on the original amp are specific to the amp. The changes in the amp with changes of the amp's gain knob and master volume (if the amp has one or both of these controls) would also need to be profiled separately to get more of the quirks of the original amp.

BUT... most people don't change the settings of a conventional amp very often - they tend to find a "sweet spot", and use the amp that way. So, you likely would not need all that many profiles for the sounds you like from a particular amp.

• Thanks, paults. That's exactly what I needed to know!

So in essence, the KPA EQ knobs will just affect that specific direct profile, and it will not act as the original amp EQ section.

• ... And this is unrelated to the nature of the Direct profile!

I see Jay is rubbing off on you (with being pedantic and all). All in good fun :P

OP,

You are correct. KPA profiles are snapshots of the specific settings of an amp. The Kemper doesn't model the EQ knobs of said amp, no. But, as Paults explained, you can take several snapshots (profiles) of the sweetspots and use them as you like.

That said, it would be cool to take at least two snapshots of an amp's sweetspots and combine them with the new Morphing feature in order to change from one profile to another. That would give us a sort-of modeling behaviour of the amp's knobs. Anyway, some food for thought for the KPA II, since loading more than 1 profile is currently not possible.

• ... And this is unrelated to the nature of the Direct profile!

Can you please explain how this is not related to the nature of direct profiling? I am under the impression that direct profiling captures only the amps character, with no cab/mic colouration. This led to my question of the KPA's EQ capability. What part am I misunderstanding? Thanks!

• The eq on the KPA is indipendent from the nature of the profile (studio/direct, Mesa, Marshall, etc).
    it is "only" a tone stack, with pre and post gain stage options. After profiling, all the controls are at noon position, meaning that the tone stack has no influence on the profiled sound.
    as soon as you start tweaking, you change the way the profile sounds.

• What he said :)

Unlike a classic amp's, the Profiler's tonestack is purposely designed as a neutral and surgical tool: when @ 0 the knobs do not affect the sound, the controls do not interact with each other etc. This way you're free to tailor your tone as you like, starting from a realistic profile of the original sound.