Plaback sounds different.

• Hi I have a question about recording a profile from my Kemper through my Universal Audio Apollo Twin into my DAW. I am using Michael Britt profiles. I find a profile in which I really like the sound of and decide to use it to record. After I have recorded my track and I play it back it is not sounding the same as what I was hearing originally. Why can I not get the same sound recorded that I was hearing originally? Why is it sounding a bit different after its been recorded? I am using Sonar X3
    Are there settings somewhere on the Kemper that I should be checking? I am going out of the Left Main output. I am using good cables. Would connecting a different way improve things or are there some settings somewhere that need to be tweaked?
    It sounds fime when I plug the headphones direct into the Kemper also but I just cant get that same sound recorded for some reason.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

• Sounds like you have "Headphone Space" enabled.

This adds a subtle room reverb to the sound. It's aimed specifically at headphone users, because listening to a dry guitar sound (especially at higher distortion levels) through headphones for a long time can be unpleasant (it sounds too "direct", which feels tiring). The "Space" effect makes it sound more natural, as if you're listening to an amp in a room.

By default, it's only applied to the signal going out through the headphones jack.

However, if you like the Space effect, you can use it in your recorded sound as well. In the output settings, look for the page with a "Headphone space" checkmark; if you uncheck it, the effect is also applied to the sound going through the main outputs. There is also a parameter for the amount of the effect.

The Space effect works best in stereo, though, so if you want to use it you may have to record both main outputs and change their output setting to stereo.

• Also, regardless of the Space parameter, the profile you're using may have a stereo chorus, delay or reverb in the effects section. You'll hear these in stereo when listening through headphones plugged directly into the Kemper, but not, of course, in a mono recording.

• Another possibility: you're "direct monitoring" your guitar while recording; IOW, you're not hearing the sound the way it gets recorded. Then, when you play it back, your DAW applies some filtering\eq (global or per track) that changes it.

Are you recording your track alone or in a mix? Are you monitoring at the same volume at which you play back, both for the rest of the instruments and your guitar? A sonic context and a variation in the listening volume will make your guitar sound different.

HTH