Powerhead/passive or unpowered/active

• Not really... you can get a passive FRFR or a passive GRFR. The suggestion of getting an active one nevertheless is valid only if you can't find any ;)

PS: Red Sound just came out with a passive version of their beautiful GRFR ;)

• I'm waiting to receive one active from them. Some users here have already purchased one (see for example here).

Here's their site (in Italian, Mirko told me the site in English is close to its deadline).

Prices are on the site. As regards delivery time, consider that the cab is artisan and will be made expressly for you.
    AFAIK, demand is quickly escalating and waiting time is getting longer, but it's certainly worth it. Among the best non-guitar cabs I've played with :)

HTH

• Thanks. Price (delivered to th UK) of the passive version is about the same as the passive CLR wedge with similar spec. Just waiting for a reply from Red Sound before making a decision.

Also worth mentioning is that I sometimes use a Roland VG99 and a Roland Strat to simulate sounds outside the guitar range e.g. keyboards, but I guess I can continue to use the Bose for that.

Edited once, last by Stierage ().

• Keep in mind the RS will sound vastly differently from the CLR, they are based on two different concepts (FRFR Vs. GRFR).
    The RS is meant for those who want the feeling of a guitar cab but with a reasonably flat response.

HTH

• Does this mean it colours the sound like a guitar cab, or does it simply restrict the frequency to only be suitable for guitar. i.e. will I still be able to use my cab sims on the KPA?

I like the sound of my Jet City cab (4 X 12 eminence) in that it delivers a very punchy sound, but I like to be able to change cab sims as well. The Bose sounds very clear, but lacks the punch.

:?::)

Edited once, last by Stierage ().

• Yep, a GRFR cab is conceived in order to use cab profiles\IRs. It sounds more or less like a linear and transparent cab when a bandpass is applied (which most sound engineers do when recording mic'ed cabs), which makes it desirable to most who don't like how modellers sound with linear and transparent cabs\monitors.

In this specific case, punch is definitely there :thumbup:

HTH :)

• So Mirko has just made his first UK sale, an LG12 passive. We just spend 45 minutes on the phone, and as I have little or no Italian, it took some time, but eventually I based my decision on the passion that Mirko demonstrated rather than the technical explanation he was able to give me.

My main question to him was why could you not simply restrict the frequencies of a FRFR speaker like an Atomic CLR or a Friedman ASM-12 using the Cab sim from the Kemper and make it sound the same as his speaker?

I think Mirko's answer was that the Cab sim would not filter these extended frequencies, but that it could be done with EQ. He did mention that it is also the intensity of each frequency that is important which may affect the quality of sound between the RS and an EQ'd FRFR.

Anyway, I explained that the UK market would struggle to understand his English translation on his website so he is going to send me the Italian text so I can get it translated and edited for him which may encourage more UK customers to consider the Red Sound option. Currently there is no stock of FRFR speakers in the UK that I have found, only pre-order, so we have to make our decision on other people's experiences.

• This thread has proved a little gold mine for me. I am a recent purchaser of an unpowered Kemper and have been struggling to settle on the best outputting for it without colouring it at all. I might be able to stretch to the cost of a dxr8, is there any real difference between that and the dxr10 apart from cost and the output? I shouldn't imagine that there would be but assuming things has cost much money in the past.

I bought the Kemper for studio use and won't be gigging so I know that the dxr8 will have all the oomph that i'm ever likely to want. It would be for practicing and jamming along to music also.

Although I have no way to a/b any speaker regarding FRFR vs GRFR based on where I live, the usual middle of nowhere conundrum, so should I consider other options?

Any advice from your experience would be more than gratefully received and hugely appreciated.

Thanks guys.

• Well, If money is too tight for a DXR 10 you can't go wrong with the 8.