Can production monitors (Yamaha,QSC,JBL,etc.) be modded to reduce bass/treble? . . .

• I just picked up a Yorkville NX10C 10" coaxial to use with my Kemper Profiler.The NX10C sounds pretty good for its small size, but it puts out surprisingly too much bass presence and a bit too much treble. I currently use an Atomic CLR neo which is a much larger cab w/ a 12" coaxial. The Yorkville NX10C is much bassier which requires me to readjust my Kemper settings - which is fine and expected from a different speaker, but I find myself dropping the bass on all EQ's within the Kemper, from the amp rigs front end eq to the "studio eq" effect, even running the "bass cut" in the studio eq quite high to try and cut some bass.The NX10C speaker has one of those single EQ knobs where turning to the left cuts treble and to the right brings in more treble but cuts bass. I never liked these EQ's, I have one on a Quilter Tone block.I really like the concept, size, & pole thru design of this NX10C and prefer not to simply opt for another speaker.Ive been through a few and feel this is the closest to what I seek conceptually. I just need to tame that bass and a bit of the slightly shrill trebles.So similar to the way a tube amp can be modded, can these production speakers(monitors/frfr) be modded to decrease the bass and/or treble response?If so, what are the components involved, and can anything be changed out - maybe "value" wise - that could be done by myself ( not too tech saavy, but dabble in taking things apart to repair - vacuums/etc.) soldering skills ok. Ive fiddled with tube amp mods and guitar guts. Or even taking it to an electronics repair tech if need be...?Thanx for any help!

• Wow... Good question with no simple answer, I think.

First (if you hvaen't already) try reducing bass on the monitor output, as paults mentions. Get that to where it sounds best. Then try reducing the mids too. Then readjust bass. if you're lucky it will help.

Second (or maybe first) , try moving it to a different location in the room, just to check if that makes a difference.

Other than that:

1) If the PCB is the surface mount type, then I'd say you're probably out of luck. Well, somebody might be able to do it, but....
    2) SCHEMATICALLY, a high pass filter is very simple, and there is probably some in the unit already. But it might not give you what you're after. Possibly your problem resides in the low mids rather than the "bass frequencies". If so, then this solution is probably not the best.
    3) I couldn't begin to tell you where to adjust values of the components. Sorry. If I could tell you, I'd probably go for something as early in the schematic as possible.
    4) I'd probably get a cheap, used outboard parametric EQ instead. Actually, I think I'd just look for another monitor which sounded good to me right out of the box.

• In short, yes, it would be easy to tweak the EQ, but the devil is in the details. You can easily implement a HPF by lowering the value of capacitor C6 feeding the contour EQ section. Try replacing it with a 0.22uF first and creep back up if it is too much. Also, changing most of the resistors and capacitors in the EQ circuit would effect the EQ curves, but you need to know what you are doing and have a plan of attack. At least put the EQ circuit into something like LTSpice and play around with the feedback capacitor values until something looks promising. And finally, there is a ribbon cable connecting the preamp and poweramp circuits. That's a great place to insert a small EQ board with trim pots. Maybe a single band parametric for each driver. You have both high and low signals, as well as a 15V bipolar power supply at hand. The question is can you or a buddy DIY the EQ and will it fit in the chassis.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)